A Senior new to scroll sawing from Huntington Beach, Ca.

OCtoolguy

Hello all here at SSV. I have many hobbies and now I can add this one to the list. I and my wife attended the Orange County Fair this last summer. It was very enjoyable. We always save the best for last. The display buildings. I love the things that humans can create. This year as in years past there was a display put on by the Orange County Woodworking Guild. But what took my eye was a fellow who was demonstrating his method of marquetry and he was cutting very thin veneers on his homemade scroll saw made entirely of wood except for a few metal fittings. I was immediately hooked. So, I had to do some research on what was the best saw to buy etc. Long story short, I bought a used saw from Craigslist and I will be attending a class that the same man, Ken Cowell puts on a few times a year. At this moment, I am on vacation up in Idaho but I look forward to getting home and learning from this master scroller. Thanks to all of you here at SSV for providing me another option for learning. I also hang out on a woodcarving forum and have learned a ton there. So, I will be lurking here and trying to soak up as much as I can from just reading and checking out your work.

Ray

Welcome to the village Ray, I hope you'll get the basics from your instructor and then pop over and start down loading some of the free patterns available here. Heck start browsing now, while your here you may want to check out the university where you can get lessons for free no students loans here they'll teach you how to create your own portrait need stuff Well don't be shy and mingle with the crowd. You'll soon learn who to avoid.

Have fun here at the morning coffee.

Good luck and again welcome.

.../Hans

Your really taking this serious,scrolling! Careful now once you start  our hooked ,line and sinker.I've found no greater enjoyment then scrolling.A real creature comfort way to relax and have fun.Hope you make and like drinking coffee as it's your turn soon as you vist the coffee forum here in the village.Come back everyday to see what you would have missed,Glad you found us friend,enjoy!

Edited by amazingkevin

Welcome to the village Ray! Enjoy your vacation then dig in and start practicing with that saw. Please post pictures of your saw and your work. If you get the chance talk your instructor to join in as well, I think we would all like to see his saw and his work also.

Take some time and look around the village and you will see the work of some of the masters of scrolling showing their work and giving tips to amateurs like me on how to get more out of there saws. Enjoy your time on the forum and don’t be a stranger. :D

Welcome to the forum.  I have looked (on the internet) at the saws you are talking about, I think.  I find them very intriging.  You can obtain plans for building one, which I think would be great.  I can not remember what they are called. 

I'm not sure if there is a name for the saw. It has a table about 5 feet long. It is not peddle powered. I uses a foot treadle mechanism so he can run it very slowly. I'll try to get a picture of it and post it here. 

Ray

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I know I told you I would post a picture of that peddle operated saw but when I went to the class, he didn't have it set up. He had 10 Delta saws all set up for the class so there wasn't room for it. I will try to get him to snap a pic of it when he is using it. By the way, the class was really great. It was four hours and he taught us the basics of marquetry inlay with the table set at 8 1/2 degrees. We all made a picture of two leaves on a small twig. I must say, mine came out great. He showed  us how to do shading with hot sand also. Now, I'm looking for a hot plate and bowl so I can do it at home. If I can figure out how to attach a picture, I'll show you all what we did. I had a great time.

Ray

post-23199-0-65172300-1416435686_thumb.jpg

Hey all, I know I told you I would post a picture of that peddle operated saw but when I went to the class, he didn't have it set up. He had 10 Delta saws all set up for the class so there wasn't room for it. I will try to get him to snap a pic of it when he is using it. By the way, the class was really great. It was four hours and he taught us the basics of marquetry inlay with the table set at 8 1/2 degrees. We all made a picture of two leaves on a small twig. I must say, mine came out great. He showed  us how to do shading with hot sand also. Now, I'm looking for a hot plate and bowl so I can do it at home. If I can figure out how to attach a picture, I'll show you all what we did. I had a great time.

Ray

attachicon.gifDSC_0454.JPG

I am looking forward to seeing that saw. I have never heard of shading with hot sand. That might be a good one to do a tutorial on for us novices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...