Dull blades from birch plywood?

Gonzo

I blame it on the boogie, I always use sellotape to lubricate the blade and I use No 5 Ultra Reverse tooth blade. Roly  

PS: I should have said they are FLYING DUTCHMAN BLADES 

from this link  http://www.scrollsawbladespatterns.com/intro_packs_only.htm

Edited by Phantom Scroller

On the subject of blades, I tried the Olsen PGT #5RG blade on 3/4 pine and within about 4 linear inches of cutting the blade came out of the holder, kinked up and the blade had turned blue (burnt looking). I tried another one and the second one came out but wasn't as blue. What would cause the blade to heat up so much in such a short period of time? I went back to the Olsen #5R and finished the piece with no problem.

I am a newbie and wanted to try something different. I do use blue tape and attach the design with spray adhesive. 

Thanks

BarryK

Pine does contain a lot of pitch and some areas more then others.  I really do not know the style of Olsen blades but some teeth are designed to cut thicker wood.  Friction is a blade killer.  Try applying clear packing tape to both sides of the wood.  It will help keep the wood cool.

BTW what part of NC are you from?

I have noticed that the Olsen blades are inconsistent (at least for me) on how long they last. Sometimes they are ok, other times they last only a minute or two. I noticed once that the 28 tooth blades really didn't have teeth, it was more like bumps on the blade. The Pegus blades always work well for me.

I cut 90% of all my Crafts using Baltic Birch Ply.  I Stack cut most every time up to 3/4 inch.  I use the FD-UR #1 blade 90% of the time. 

I feel this blade does not dull fast.  I know its getting dull when it doesn't track exactly on the line.  Then I put a new one on.  Anyway

this is how I have Scrolled for approx. the last few years.  Danny  :+}