CHAT ROOM?

Savannah Scroller

Is there a cost? With the sites I take care of the Php chat is a free add on

Yes.  I pay an annual fee.  Chat rooms create a lot of database queries,which quickly eat up your alloted compute cycles.  Most hosting services don't allow chat rooms for that very reason.  Which is why we use a 3rd party service for the chat room.

Our chat room can host 20 people.  I can downgrade it to the free version, which only supports 5 people, or remove it all together.  I'd just hate to have a scheduled chat with people wanting to participate, but being locked out.

When is regular schedules chats?

US Chat:  Every Tuesday at 9pm ET

UK Chat:  Every Wednesday at20.00 GMT

Reminders pop up in the right side of the forum in the Calendar section (below the shoutbox)

US.

I've been through 3 hosting companies so far.  At first, they don't restrict.  But at some point, they limit the number of database queries in a designated time (I don't know the exact details).  If you remember about 8 months ago, SSV was really slow.  It's because SSV was doing too many database queries that slowed down the server.  They ended up throttling me, which really slowed down the site.  I went though and optimized some of the site to cache content.  That seemed to help.  There are a bunch of different chat room types; PHP, Java, IRC, etc.  However, the chat room I use is an addon service from the IP Board (the software I use).  It's integrated into the community software, so I don't have to cobble together a chat room from a different source and keeps 1 login.  It doesn't cost a lot...about $25/year.  But if nobody uses it, I'd rather put that money toward scroll saw blades.  ;)

• 2 years later...

What can you say or talk about that you can't say here?

The chat room is fun place to talk to folks in real time.  It's kinda like writing letters.  Sure, you can write a letter to family in another state and say whatever you need to say.  But it's also fun to pick up the phone or visit to chat.  

I think the chat room is a fun feature.  I wish more would use it.  I pay extra to have that feature available to our members.  Give it a try.  Just be patient as people come and go.  I think if you hang out in there a bit, someone will pop in and say hi.  :)