Top Feeding vs Bottom Feeding

Travis

So I'm doing a little research for our scroll saw ranking project.  The subject of top feeding scroll saws vs. bottom feeding scroll saws comes up.  I have a Craftsman scroll saw (back from the days when they were good saws) and I bottom feed my blades.  I know other saws boast that they are top feeding scroll saws.  But I can't tell any difference in the manufacturing that would indicate one is top feeding and the other is bottom feeding.  Couldn't you top feed or bottom feed your blades regardless?  To me is sounds more of process, not the way it's manufactured.  Can someone enlighten me?  What's the difference?

Got to be preference.  I bottom feed because I can't line the feed hole up with the table hole when I try to top feed.  Causes me to bend blades.  This in spite of the fact I think top feed makes more sense. 

Shirts should be buttoned from the top down, no arguement.  If you start at the top, work down, your hands are down  at the bottom so you can tuck the shirt in.  duh!  ;)

Both methods have pros and con's !! Three reasons I bottom feed ,Big fingers and blind co-ordination ,+manifold thickness .plus I can see upper clamp and see any problem with business end of blade . If you count this my hand are on the right side of the saw table when I'm done ! And  as usual there are only two perfect people in this world You  and ME and the more I think about it I'M not completely sure about YOU! ,but I love you more !

Edited by Multifasited

Some peolpe drive a Ford, some a Chevy and some both.  I have a Hawk and a Dewalt.  The Hawk is a bottom feed the Dewalt can be fed either way and I use it as a top feed 98% of the time.  I do a lot of fret work so top feeding is a real plus the down side is you do tend to bend more blades and you need to learn to feel your blade changes.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but with my old saw it was harder to top-feed because the was no catch to hold the upper arm in place. I was a bottom-feeder then. When I got my P-20, I found it was much easier for me to top-feed.

I totally agree with Dan here I was a bottom feeder for years with my Dremel and the Hegner but with the Delta P20 I have seen the light. :woot:  :woot:

Shirts should be buttoned from the top down, no arguement.  If you start at the top, work down, your hands are down  at the bottom so you can tuck the shirt in.  duh!  ;)

What are you talking about? The shirt should ALWAYS go on before the pants do. :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  

I am a top feeder have used a dremal to start with pin in blades and don't remember the way I went but with the dewalt and ex 21 I do top feed. I have tried bottom feeding but the food was to muddy but my problem I could not shorten the learning curve and broke or bent blades every time. Therefore I decided I better stick with was was fastest and cheapest for me. By the way how do you hang your toilet tissue also know as pooper scooper. Never mind that is unresolveable just keep the seat down and all will be peaceful.

Yes Travis, there is a difference. On saws like the DeWalt, Excalibur and newer Delta saws the top arms lift. So to top feed you release the lower clamp, raise the top arm with the blade still attached, move your blank in position to the next hole then lower the upper arm then reattach the blade to the lower blade clamp. It actually takes more time to read this than too actually do it.

I understand the new Hawks are top feeders too, but I don't know firsthand.

I started on a Dremel saw that used adapters to use plain end blades. On average it took four to five minutes to move the blade to the next hole. Now with a DeWalt, I can do it in ten to fifteen seconds as a top feeder!

Thank God it's only top vs bottom feed. Just think if there were also a left and right feed.

The older Hawks 2008 types were easier to bottom feed.

The bottom clamp was designed to hold the blade permanent or until  the blade had to be changed. The top clamp was the side screw clamp.

A saw where the top arm lifts and there is ease of clamping on both the top and bottom are saws that feed either way.

I believe todays scroll saws are designed for both top and bottom feed. The designers should realize that the blade can be feed either way or there is a loss of customers.

Now the older saws ...

Just my take, my thoughts

Edited by LarryEA

funny thing.. I always have fed my blades from the bottom, I was watching a video of a guy before a class, demonstrating how to make an item, ( I  don't even remember what they were making) , but this guy does a lot of videos, sorry I can't remember his name, never the less, he top fed. As I watched him tighten the blade, I was amazed. He had to bend down and twist his neck and almost had to be a contortionist to reattach the blade under the saw. As I watched him, I was wondering, 'why would anyone want to make such an easy job so darn difficult?'. He was using  a DeWalt saw like I have. I guess it was how you started in the first time as most of us are so habit forming and I find as I get older it is even more difficult to change how I do things. 

Dick

heppnerguy

It sounds like a lot of scrollers are bottom-feeders. If the top arm of your saw raises to assist in blade changing then give the top-feed a try. Spend a day or two top-feeding and see if you get more comfortable with it. It only takes about 10 seconds once you get the hang of it and you can do it without contorting your body. If that doesn't work, change your name to Dan...as per the other posts we saw the light of top-feeding.

Is there a difference in how the scroll saw is made to determine if it's a top feeding or bottom feeding saw?  Is it how the upper arm behaves when changing the blade?

I think the answer is if the top arm lifts up it can be a "top" or "bottom" feeder as long as it has "quick" clamps in both top and bottom.