DeWalt Type 1 vs Type 2

Travis

I  know there's a big difference between Type 1 and Type 2 DeWalt scroll saws.  So for those of you in the know, I have a few questions.

1. Is the model number the same between Type 1 and Type 2?
  2. How can you tell the difference between Type 1 and Type 2?
  3. Is Type 1 or Type 2 preferred?

Thanks!

As mentioned, the model no is the same but the type no. Is mentioned on the motor. As for desirability, the type I models are fifteen years old. That means the bearings, brushes and all moving parts have a lot of wear on them. I owend a type I and wore it out.

All parts are interchangeable between the two, but I would not pay much for a type I.

If you are handy ,and I say If ,The wear items are replaceable , plenty of good videos on what and how to do exist .parts are readily available .there are very few advantages to a New saw over a type one using a quality lube during rebuild should out last new w/poor lubes provided on all new saws .Type 2 had their own issues "warped tables etc." when they first came out ,must be a dam good design or would not have been copied and sold today ! Still a lot of type 1's under current use .I have one , I feel sure type 2 has gotten all the bugs out by now ,other then the cheapest lube they can use . The main difference was the point of mfg. and getting tooling right gave type 2 a bad rap . The fact the big copy cat made few very few changes and uses same parts speaks volumes about the design . Look at all the other mfgr.'s changes and and aborted designs in the same period . especially the high dollars saws .JMHO