Anyone need this hint?

jerry1939

I use an awl when I do my fret work. It really helps to make the drill holes easier assessible and I also use the awl to poke out any pieces that stick within the cut out

Kevin, I like to use the smaller drill bits because it helps the bottom wood grains from tearing and breaking the wood surrounding the feet drilled hole

I have a question.  When I'm drilling pilot holes, the top part is always larger than the bottom hole, I'm sure due to the bit being larger on that end than the point end (I hope that made sense.)  Using the smallest bit I have access to.  I put a piece under so there is no tearout, and this usually works, that's not the problem.  When I put the puzzle pieces back in (like my construction equipment puzzle) I can see the drill holes, and they are very hard to sand smooth. (It can be done if I work at it but then the pieces jiggle more than I like.)  Should I try drilling from the bottom up?  Since there is no tearaway using the block under trick, I think it would make the hole on the top smaller and the bottom part I'm feeding through a little larger.  What do y'all think?

The bits I use (regular twist bits) are straight, they are not bigger at one end.  Are you using a tapered bit of some sort?

You can get real small bits from most places that sale blades online.  Mike's Workshop, Sloan's, etc.  They are around $8 a doz. 

No, they are regular bits, I asked my dad (who owns the drill).  They aren't quite .25" long, though, and I'm drilling the magnetic part into my wood.  I did drill from the back today and it helped a lot.

Most people drill too fast and actually punch out the the last part ,they think they are drilling ,very small drill bits load up and need cleared several times in at drilling of a single hole ,Hard to do ,when doing dozens and dozens of holes & holes at a set ,stacking has layers ,in the center you you can feel the layers separate as drill enters new layer , as you drill ,most are seldom tight together as we think compounding the problem ,obvious on larger pc.s in center areas away from edges and pegs. Just a fact !! Also tiny drill bits tend to wander or bow even in a drill press ,JUST another fact !! Stackers ,find this out the hard way ,even single 3/4" find grain problematic on some woods .Just more facts ,drill bits like scroll saw blade need time to clear trapped sawdust and shavings to be able to cut and drill as straight as possible !

Or you can ignore and blame what ever else is You choose !

• 8 months later...

Take a pencil #2 rotate in hole makes it very visible .too bad there is not a directory to be able to find all these tips and cures that have been listed ,so all could refer to for refreshers for infrequent users or newbies!

Alot of times I'll take a marker and dot the hole! I'll have to try the pencil idea though! Thanks

Tommy