🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Hello from upstate NY

mgmine

I gave up on wood turning and decided to turn my attention to scrolling. I've been doing woodworking all my life and tend to lean towards " instant gratification" projects. Turning gave me that but it also gave me more bowls, boxes and vases that I knew what to do with. When you see people hiding from you, you know that you can't unload any more stuff on them. With scrolling I see instant gratification plus a whole new catagory of items to make. The thing I didn't like about turning was that it was very messy, let me make that very very very messy and very expensive. The lathe was the cheap part in comparison to everything else you needed. I grew up with a Delta Rockwell scroll saw (one of the big things from the 50's) and as a kid only made cut outs of dogs and birds.  When it was time to buy my own saw I bought a Delta beginners saw for something like $150.00 I soon learned why it was so cheap. I never used the saw because the blade would constantly come out of the holder. It's true you get what you pay for. I now have a new saw on order thanks to the recommendations of experienced scroll sawers. Once it gets here I'll start making saw dust. I came to this site for patterns but see that it is full of helpful people that love to share their knowledge.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. In answer to Larry's question I bought the Excalibur EX 21 from Ray. A good deal of what ever I cut will be from black walnut because I have an abundance of it. I was building a grandfather clock out of mahogany but ended up with a pile of walnut by mistake. It didn't matter since it only cost me $1.00 and a hour of work cleaning it up. I think I'll start with sign I found in the pattern section that says "I never finish anythin" it's fitting for me. As I say to my wife " I said I'll do it, youi don't have to keep nagging me every six months"

Art,

I enjoyed your introduction remarks because it sounded like it was coming from me, personally. I too was doing some woodworking that I eventually got tired of doing. My woodworking was not turning but rather with intarsia. I made many annals and flowers and I avoided s ceiling because when I thought of scrolling, my thoughts were if outlines of things that seemed way to basic and unfinished to me until I came upon a scroll page and saw that the scroll saw can indeed produce many things that were attractive to my eye so I thought I would give it a try and see if I too was able to makes the things that I saw and liked. I tried some word art first and was surprised that I could do that. What I first noticed about scrolling was the same thing you seemed to find out. That being, " the instant gratification" that scrolling can give. No shaping or a lot of time that is needed to finish a scrolling piece.

Art we are all happy that you liked our site enough to decide there is something here for you. We like to think thre is something here for anyone that is interested in scrolling. I would suggest that you make it a habit to log on often and to post photos of your new endeavor here. The more you log on and make comments on the others posts, the sooner you will find out how friendly the people are here and the sooner you will notice that you are not just a new person here but rather you are 'family'. WELCOME

Dick

heppnerguy

Larry it's Mr lucky until your have them growing in your yard! I have a dozen of them including one monster with a circumference of 13 feet. In the fall I have to park 30 feet away from it because the walnuts will destroy the car! I have an agreement with the squirrels that I'll treat them well if they remove the walnuts for me. There are so many walnuts that I have to use a snow shovel to get them to one side. You can't mow them or rake them because they are so big and heavy. The one good thing is that I use my band saw on the limbs and have cut some really nice boards. I have found a great place to get hardwood is at second hand stores, flea markets and the curb. Peole are always getting rid of nasty furniture that just begs to be put to better use. I take the stuff home and plane it down,