Aquarium Air Pump for sawdust blower duty

I recently was given a Ryobi CS165VS Scroll Saw. I like it very much but the sawdust blower which is run by a bellows actuated by the saw doesn't really work well at all. I read somewhere that some scroll sawyers are using an aquarium air pump to provide enough air to really blow the sawdust off the cut line. If you use an aquarium air pump, which one do you use (Brand) and what size ( what gallon tank rating)?? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey there

I have been using a aquarium pump for years.  I have a porta-cable saw and the bellows kept splitting. So I decided to give one a try.  Worked like a charm.

I chose the middle of the road air pump.  It wasn't the largest, nor was it the smallest.  It cost around $ 16.00.  Installed it and never looked back.

I went to the local pet store and tried out the best pumps they had and none of them moved anywhere near enough air to move sawdust.  I know, I know, others love them but I had a different experience.  I have an $8 hair dryer pointed at my saw blade and it works very well for me.  I spend 40 hours a week in my shop and much of that time is spent using my scroll saws.

I had a Porter Cable scroll saw and the pump just lasted long enough for the Warrent to run out I put a aquarium pump I bought at a garage sale and it out lasted the scroll saw which lasted about 18 months  more and the saw went bad a total life of the saw 21/2 years. but the pump worked well  and it was a middle priced pump, I don't know how old it  was, I paid $3 for it.

You can use a large box fan blowing away from you, might be nice in the summer!

I too just got the Ryobi, and for the price it's a good saw. The blower is not one of it's best features at all. You can use any brand pump you want really, Tetra pumps are good decent pumps for the money. I would get a pump rated for a 60 gallon aquarium though. You could go lower, but if you're going to buy one would personally go with the slightly more powerful one from the start. It will just give you more options and overall more blowing power. Make sure you buy some aquarium tubing as well and you will be good to go!

Another benefit to the pump over the bellow is the pump will provide you with a nice constant flow of air. Even if you're scrolling at a slow speed!

The"Silent Giant" air pump for aquariums is a good one.It;a about 4" round and 6" high.110 volt. :) :) :)

Hi Kevin,

Forty years ago I kept fish and had three tanks - two of them 55 gallon ones. One salt water and one fresh. I had a Silent Giant for each of the big tanks and a cheapy for the small 20 gallon tank. Sold them with the tanks and fish and everything when I moved to a small house where I didn't have room for them.The Silent Giants were great pumps but unfortunarely aren't made any more. I've been looking in the want ads for a used one but no luck. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

You can use a large box fan blowing away from you, might be nice in the summer!

I too just got the Ryobi, and for the price it's a good saw. The blower is not one of it's best features at all. You can use any brand pump you want really, Tetra pumps are good decent pumps for the money. I would get a pump rated for a 60 gallon aquarium though. You could go lower, but if you're going to buy one would personally go with the slightly more powerful one from the start. It will just give you more options and overall more blowing power. Make sure you buy some aquarium tubing as well and you will be good to go!

Another benefit to the pump over the bellow is the pump will provide you with a nice constant flow of air. Even if you're scrolling at a slow speed!

I've also been considering hooking some tubing to the output side of my shop vacuum. (using the input side (vacuum) hooked to the dust collection port of the scroll saw. The shop vacuum is running anyway so why not use the output side (blower) and a piece of tubing to blow sawdust off. Might give that a try as well.

I have ENJYOYED this subject.  I have Never USED a fish tank pump.  I have a 1998 modle 18" HEGNER and the billows

are ORIGINAL.  Still works like a Charm.  I DO USE AND HAVE ALWAYS USED A MID SIZE OSCYALATING  FAN THAT

BLOWS FROM MY RIGHT TOWARDS  THE SAW.  Also have a box fan WITH filter sucking all the dust.  Also works

like a Charm.  Just have to vaccume the filter here n there.  Catches the fine dust great.  My 2 cents....  Danny  :+}

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't want to be a dick, but the person asking the question specifically asked; " If you use an aquarium air pump, which one do you use (Brand) and what size ( what gallon tank rating)?? "

Most replies DID NOT SPECIFY MAKE OR MODEL.  The reason I'm getting my panties all in a twist is that I have the same issue.  I just bought a $37 aquarium pump for a 100 gallon tank, a "Tetra" brand,  UPC 0 4679877855 4.  It's totally useless.  It's got two outputs which I hooked together using a T, with the single directed output to the saw.  USELESS!  That's why people ask specific questions.  Very frustrating.

Johng34, Hollis, NH

I had a craftman which I used a aquarium adidr pump on for d5 years and the saw got to the replacement stage i took the air pumpaway and bought an Porter Cabele.9 the worse saw I ever hadwith in 3 months that air  bellos split and I used the air pummp for another 3 years and junked the saw and bought an 788 and that aidr system has lasted 5 years and still going dtahe aiaar pump was a cheepie and worked fine.

IKE