Lucky me.....

NC Scroller

West Penn Hardwoods just moved from Olean, NY to Conover, NC.  :smitten:  That is between Hickory, NC and Greensboro, NC along Interstate I-40.  While a three hour drive from my place I have been known to drive several hours for the right reasons.  Like wood and tools.  You see I have a serious case of WGD (wood guy disease).  The only know cure is acquire more wood and tools.  :thumbs:  Sounds like for health reasons I have a road trip coming up in the near future.

I guess we are just lucky here in NC . I live in Winston Salem and Klingspor is less than 5 minutes from the house, Wall Lumber is 45 minutes north, NC Hardwood is about 45 minutes east, plus 2 WoodCrafts within an 1 1/2 hours and now another place in Conover. How do I choose where to go. 

Those near Hickory make sure you plan on going to Klingspor's show at the convention center in October. It would be good to talk to you folks instead of just typing. I will be there with the Carolina Scollers at the booth & that Friday myself & another member will be giving a formal demo on Intarsia. Date of the show has not been set yet but should be set very soon and i will let everyone know.

Scott that is definitely a reason for a road trip, however you should look in your area for sawmills.  A lot of them have shorts and cutoffs that can be had at surprisingly low prices.. such as free or just a couple of bucks.  Still you should take the truck :)  You never know. 

DW

DW yes I know about the saw mill route.  Being in the Eastern half of NC (the Pine Tree Sate) the local mills handle mostly pine.Cabinet shops can be another source.

I guess we are just lucky here in NC . I live in Winston Salem and Klingspor is less than 5 minutes from the house, Wall Lumber is 45 minutes north, NC Hardwood is about 45 minutes east, plus 2 WoodCrafts within an 1 1/2 hours and now another place in Conover. How do I choose where to go. 

Those near Hickory make sure you plan on going to Klingspor's show at the convention center in October. It would be good to talk to you folks instead of just typing. I will be there with the Carolina Scollers at the booth & that Friday myself & another member will be giving a formal demo on Intarsia. Date of the show has not been set yet but should be set very soon and i will let everyone know.

I think I have attended and done demos at the Klingspor Extravaganza 10 of the prior 13 years.  I will be there again this year doing scrolling demos and teaching in the NC Woodworkers booth again this year.  We have to get together.

For me Klingspors and Woodcraft in Raleigh are 1 1/2 hours and NC Hardwood Store is 2 hours.

Ha!  I just found out the other day that Windsor Plywood opened a store about 20 miles from me.  It has been there for over a year.  I do need to get out more!  They sell all types of plywood and hard woods.  I can't wait to go introduce myself......

Paul,

Where is that new wood shop where you have found the good wood supply. I would like to check it out if it is not too far out of my way

Dick

heppnetguy

Paul,

Where is that new wood shop where you have found the good wood supply. I would like to check it out if it is not too far out of my way

Dick

heppnetguy

Very close to where we ate when you were here,  http://www.yellowpages.com/kennewick-wa/mip/windsor-plywood-505164492

Edited by Scrappile