🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

My First Inlay

Sycamore67

I had  wanting to try some inlay but had not exactly figured out how.  I did read the thread by Jim Finn and used it to help me with my first attempts.

I used 1/4" red oak and pine and attached a pattern of some simple shapes and letter to them with blue tape and then spray adhesive.  The two pieces were held together with clear packing tape.  The inlay was cut using FD #5 Ultra Reverse blades with the table set at 2.5°. I set the table angle using a digital tilt box. I drilled the starting hole with a #60 drill bit using my Dremel with an angle of about 5-6°.

The most difficult part of this for me was drilling the starter holes so that they did not show in the final inlay.  My thanks to Jim Finn for providing some very good advice.  You can see in the picture that the hole shows in a couple of the shapes but is much better in the rest as I learned how to do it.  

post-27214-0-29599200-1444167863_thumb.jpg

Last year I took a class from a guy who has been out at our local county fair. He peaked my interest so I had to get a saw and learn how to do this. After taking his class, he told all of us that a very good book was

Vandall Stevens, Craig

So, I bought one from Amazon. It is the greatest book on the subject and must have been the guide for the class that I took. It's spot on to what I was taught. I have done a few small art projects since. Not hard at all once you learn all the little secrets.

Ray

Inlay is on my to learn list.  I started off this year with a list of what I wanted to learn to do I only managed 2 on my list but I am determined that I will do every single one on my list at least once.  Seems to me that you have started off right and now there will be no stopping you.

Marg

I had  wanting to try some inlay but had not exactly figured out how.  I did read the thread by Jim Finn and used it to help me with my first attempts.

I used 1/4" red oak and pine and attached a pattern of some simple shapes and letter to them with blue tape and then spray adhesive.  The two pieces were held together with clear packing tape.  The inlay was cut using FD #5 Ultra Reverse blades with the table set at 2.5°. I set the table angle using a digital tilt box. I drilled the starting hole with a #60 drill bit using my Dremel with an angle of about 5-6°.

The most difficult part of this for me was drilling the starter holes so that they did not show in the final inlay.  My thanks to Jim Finn for providing some very good advice.  You can see in the picture that the hole shows in a couple of the shapes but is much better in the rest as I learned how to do it.  

attachicon.gif20151006_Inlay Trial M.jpg

Have you tried using the saw dust mixed with glue to hide the drill holes perfectly?Very well done on your drill holes!