🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Warpped Wood

Hawk

Heres the problem. I usally work with 1/4" wood. Some of the hard maple I recently got has a slight cup in it. Not much, if you lay the board down the middle of the board is about a 1/4" higher than the edges, the board is 11" wide.

Is there a way to flatten the board, and will that method work on all wood varities?

Chris

I had some luck by wetting it, not sopping wet ,and lay it on flat surface belly side up

and put some weight on it for some time...I usually leave it over night depending on size.

Doesn't always work,but other times  is the  right cure

I have used a simaliar method setting the wood with the bulge up on a flat surface placing a damp towel over the entire piece and letting it "cook" for a few hours.  I usually check on it every 45 minutes or so.  If you leave it too long it can/will cause other warping problems.

1/4 inch wood of any species is the worst for cupping. The way you stated you are like I am, do not have a bandsaw  or a planer to resaw and surface the wood. In that case I would purchase the wood in 3" width and glue them up alternating the end grain to mostly end the cupping. This is a lot of work and time consuming so you might try ordering from a wood mill that would quarter saw the wood for you and that will take care of the cupping. I have not had any luck with wetting the board and putting weight on it as it resumes the cup when dry. I usually stack all of the wood when I receive it and put spacers between each layer and place weights on the top and leave it for 2 weeks or more, even than some will cup and even twist!

I am still learning about wood and how it acts here in southern NM although we have very low humidity in the spring and summer but wood still does strange things!

Redwine

My x wife was a bit warped and found out a good crack with a spade did the trick..........

Paul,

You better hope that your wife does not see your post. as getting out of the hole you just dug for yourself, may very well NOT be worth the smiles you achieved with it. I hope it is not too cold 'outside' where you live..Nights are very long when it is

Dick

heppnerguy