🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Ever thank GOD after successfully cutting a fragile Section?

hotshot

Can brass be cut with the scrollsaw? 

Jay

Yes, I've cut brass coins with no problem.  However, the thicker you go, the harder it will be.  I think belt buckle size should be fine as those are typically 1/8" thick or less.  I would suggest jeweler blades.  If you are not doing super high detail, I would use larger blades.  On these coins, I'm using Pike 3/0 Jewelers, and break many many.  On less detail, I would go try Pike "1/0" Jewelers or maybe the larger "1".  (I actually got my best prices on Amazon.com)

----------Randy

Edited by hotshot

this looks like a perfect necklace piece. If I was cutting it,I think I would have cut a small circle at eh upper point of the heart for a necklace chain. It sure is a pretty piece, Randy. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Funny you should say that, In the picture, I'm holding the coin by the circle I cut out for the necklace :-)  If you look real close, you can see part of that where my thumb is.

Edited by hotshot

Randy,

I'm always impressed with items you post here. Truly amazing talent.

Are you on the craft show circuit? For several years there was a gentleman who cut jewelry from coins and did a land office business at the Spring art/craft show in Fairhope, AL. He wasn't there last year. There is certainly a demand for what you do!

Are you doing the April 23-24 craft show in Franklin, TN? Only an hour away from you. We'll be there with a booth full of puzzles.

Yes, I've cut brass coins with no problem.  However, the thicker you go, the harder it will be.  I think belt buckle size should be fine as those are typically 1/8" thick or less.  I would suggest jeweler blades.  If you are doing doing super high detail, I would use larger blades.  On these coins, I'm using Pike 3/0 Jewelers, and break many many.  On less detail, I would go try Pike "1/0" Jewelers or maybe the larger "1".  (I actually got my best prices on Amazon.com)

----------Randy

Thanks so much - this is great - I really appreciate the information.

Jay