? scrolling a round surface.

I recently saw a wooden bowl which had piercings around the sides which appeared like they were scrolled.  I am having a little trouble tying to figure out how such a thing is done.    I can't figure out what kind of saw would permit the operator to see the lines to be cut.   Unless it had a very narrow work table and base, (a bit like a free arm sewing machine)  .  .  

I know some bowl turners that will use a rotary tool to cut designs in their bowls. Someone (Dirk Bowman maybe??) did an article in a scrolling magazine years ago and they cut words onto a band around an ornament. To do this, they cut the band in quarters and cut each section, then glued them back together. I guess you could do this with a bowl, but it seems like more work than a rotary tool.

Perry, a lot of times, it depends on what the bowl maker wants on the bowl. If it is writing or some other recognizable figure, then it is usually cut out with a saw before the bowl is made. If it is just a bunch of holes or other random designs, then it is usually done after the bowl is turned on a lathe or cut out with a saw. For the random patterns, most people use a rotary type of tool with a small carbide burr.

Len

In the case of a bowl with side wall scrolling it is possible to create a bowl then do a bit of fretwork on it   I have seen several folks on one of the other boards do this.  The ones I saw done had pretty decent fretwork scrolled into the walls of the bowl.  One bowl had scrolled figures that were then relief carved.  As long as your upper arm of your saw is not hitting anything you can scroll the sidewall.  I have not had a lot of free time lately so I have not been able to play as much as I would like to. Be interesting to see what you come up with.

DW