I love my scroll saw!

Jo Norman

Hi I have been scrolling for a couple of years now, I enjoy it so much as soon as I finish cutting a project I'm ready to start another. My least favorite part is sanding the little fuzzies off and staining, but that's what makes it great in the end.

I'm am living in PA, I wish there was a scroll sawing group close to me, the closest I have found is 2 hours away.

I'm going to start turning some things soon,I'm setting up a lathe. If you are thinking about doing some turning do some research and find out whats its going to cost to get everything you need. I didn't and I am still buying things ðŸ˜

I have a very small workroom/laundry room but I make it work

Anyone have favorite blades? I like the flying dutchman blades, I hate the spiral blades they remind me of life, they never go the way I want

Attachment is one of the last things I madepost-21604-0-15850800-1466553814_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Village.  Scrolling as you have found out it very addictive.  If you get lucky and find a good market your skills can essentially pay for the scrolling addiction.  In know mine has.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.  If you have any questions please feel free to ask as there is about 1000 years or more of accumulated knowledge here.

DW

Thanks it's funny how I started scroll sawing, I saw a picture of a frog and it said it was made with a scroll saw. I wanted to try it, of course that turned out to be intarsia, I tried that but I didn't really care fot it. I'm so happy that I got the saw because I love fret work, people look at things I have made with comments like you have to have a lot of patience to do that, I say that it relaxes me. Here are a few other things I have pictures of, some older than otherspost-21604-0-41443700-1466565166_thumb.jpgpost-21604-0-02320500-1466565025_thumb.jpgpost-21604-0-72616500-1466564993_thumb.jpgpost-21604-0-14260400-1466564931_thumb.jpgpost-21604-0-11172900-1466564904_thumb.jpg

Thanks it's funny how I started scroll sawing, I saw a picture of a frog and it said it was made with a scroll saw. I wanted to try it, of course that turned out to be intarsia, I tried that but I didn't really care fot it. I'm so happy that I got the saw because I love fret work, people look at things I have made with comments like you have to have a lot of patience to do that, I say that it relaxes me. Here are a few other things I have pictures of, some older than otherspost-21604-0-41443700-1466565166_thumb.jpgpost-21604-0-02320500-1466565025_thumb.jpgpost-21604-0-72616500-1466564993_thumb.jpgpost-21604-0-14260400-1466564931_thumb.jpgpost-21604-0-11172900-1466564904_thumb.jpg

Welcome. I am also a newbie to this site and must say your work is beautiful! I really dislike sanding and use a Mac mop from Klingspore to gently take care of all the fuzzies . I like this style better tan the stacked sheet type. Gentler and seems to last longer.

Regarding turning, it is a bottomless money pit. If you are new to it find an experienced turner to guide you or if that is not possible.

Check out these videos done by a friend.

the woodturning shop on youtube.

These are also excellent

SB Tools Videos on Vimeo   vimeo.com/woodturning/videos

For some reason I am having difficulty pasting links?

post-29702-0-97424600-1466861321_thumb.jpg

post-29702-0-79158600-1466861327_thumb.jpg

Welcome

I so both scrolling and turning.  As you say turning is a bottomless pit for tools.  I did a lot of turning and bought lots of stuff is really didn't need but it was fun.  I ran out of friends to give bowls, pens and pepper mills to so now I do a lot of scrolling. All my friends have Steve Goods cheese boards but I still have lot on the to do list.

I am not sure where you are in PA but there are a few turning clubs around.  I still turn Wig Stands for Cancer patients and I know that there is a club in PA that have picked up on those to give them to local cancer support centres.  Pens are addicting too.

don

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the village. i prefer Olson's. easier to control and last longer before they get dull. and they are easier to get. I buy them at Marinades I have gotten the Spiral blades free and tried them but don't like them so I gave them away. they were FD brand b;ades..

I used to really hate the dreaded spiral blades but asi looked at the cuttings by those that do prefer them, like Hans

and Scrappile, to name a couple, I was amazed at the quality of work they were putting out and decided I would HAVE to take the time to learn to use them. It takes time to develope new skills and this one was that way for me, but I do have to say that though I have a long way to go with them I do see progress in my work and I am now constantly looking for 'delacate' patterns to cut that I would have stayed away from before. I see the finest pieces are produced by the spiral blade users so for me, I am willing to try and learn to use them.

I also want to welcome you to The Village where everyone is friendly and helpful. Have a question on something just ask

Dick

heppnerguy

Hi I have been scrolling for a couple of years now, I enjoy it so much as soon as I finish cutting a project I'm ready to start another. My least favorite part is sanding the little fuzzies off and staining, but that's what makes it great in the end.

I'm am living in PA, I wish there was a scroll sawing group close to me, the closest I have found is 2 hours away.

I'm going to start turning some things soon,I'm setting up a lathe. If you are thinking about doing some turning do some research and find out whats its going to cost to get everything you need. I didn't and I am still buying things

I have a very small workroom/laundry room but I make it work

Anyone have favorite blades? I like the flying dutchman blades, I hate the spiral blades they remind me of life, they never go the way I want

Attachment is one of the last things I madeattachicon.gifIMG_0382-1.JPG

I like it Nikki!!! Welcome to a very fun place to hang out.   :)