Learning Scrollsawing

woodchux

I started scrolling about two years ago after seeing some scroll art online...Steve Good and online video's were a large help...This forum has been a huge part of my growth as a scroller........and of course cutting about 250 different projects did not hurt.....Did I mention that I love this hobby!   

For me, I've been at it off and on for more than 30 years. All my learning was from books and magazines. Heck, I can't even tell what got me hooked, but I still have the first scroll project I did.

Didn't have internet back then, least ways where I was, but the stuff that's out there is incredible.

Never tried to make money, I would get requests but I would just give them the piece, or donated for silent auctions and such.

The main point is to enjoy your time at the saw and the hardest critic you have is yourself.

Chris

Hi and welcome Chales.My first encounter with scrolling was in my friends book store,mostly used and magazines .I sena clock that was 2-3 ' high on a cover and looked thru the magazine.Right then and there i said man i wish i could do this.Years later my friend got married and the wife wanted all the stuff they don't use out so i inherited lots of things plus a dremil 14" vibrating scroll saw .Years later i had the time to try it and was hooked ever since.I've spent yeas on inferior saws but loved evey minute of it .I traded my first intarsia's for a dewalt ,imagine that

I started scrolling 20+ years ago. I borrowed an old Dremel scrollsaw from my brother in law. It was one that needed an allen wrench to change blades unless you used pinned blades. So I basically cut out shapes and such for a few projects I made at that time. I was frustrated with the saw so I upgraded a little to a Ryobi I believe wasn't much better but blade change was a lot easier. After this I started doing more fretwork and was hooked. Since then I've upgraded saws 3-4 times and now I do a lot with the scroll saw. Intarsia is my favorite, then fretwork(portraits) I've even use the scroll saw to cut designs into my pen blanks. Everything I do on the saw was self taught, I did check out a few books for patterns and some basic tips when I first started. Of all the tools in my shop the Scroll saw is my most used.

I have helped a couple boys learn to scroll and do intarsia in the last couple years. Now I have a coworker wanting to learn.

Charlie, I've been scrolling for over 15 years now, it's been a learn as you go hobby for me. A lot of it was practice practice practice, and then some more practicing just in case I needed it. When I wasn't practice cutting, I was reading, reading everything there was to read about the hobby. Nowadays you can learn a lot on the internet and You-Tube, it's a great place to pick up some tips. Plus, by joining places like here on the Village, is a very smart move, it allows you to ask questions like this one Good luck, hope you learn lots about the hobby.

Len

I was already into woodworking. Buying and reading every woodworking magazine available. Back then there were at least six. In some issues there were some scroll saw patterns. I always hated the fact that I couldn't do a project because I didn't have a scroll saw. So I asked Santa for one. That was over twenty years ago!

It was a Dremel that required an Allen wrench to change blades. I found a pattern and tried to cut it. It was a disaster! I didn't know how to make it cut properly, so I put in a corner for about six months.

Finally I found a scroll saw book by Patrick Spielman. From that book I learned about blades, blade tension, feed rate and saw speed. with proper blades and a little more knowledge, I cut that pattern. It came out a lot better than the first time!

The rest as they say is history!

I started scrolling about 22 years ago. I was driving truck OTR at the time. I came in off the off road one Saturday afternoon, walked in the house, my bride took one look at me, & said "you look like s***! I told her it was good to see her, too. She decided I needed to see a Sawbones, so, off to the ER we went. After a thorough going over by the Sawbones, he came back in the room, looked me dead square in the face, & said he was goin to put this on terms I'd understand. He told me I was dehydrated, not eating right, bp was high, potassium was low, in overall bad shape. If I didn't quit eatin', thinkin', drinkin', & sleepin' trucks, they were going to drop me in a deep hole, & it weren't far off! My bride jumps up & says you need a hobby! OK! The next week end I was home, we were out looking at woodworking tools. The scroll saw became my first attraction because it was going to be a challenge. We bought several wood tools. They were in storage til I had time to set them up, & learn about them. I checked out I don't know how many books & took with me on the truck to read on all these tools. The scroll saw especially. When I finally got to start playing with the saw, it was tough, & frustrating to learn. But after 2 semi loads of customized firewood, I pretty well had it figured out. Now I own 5 saws. My work horse is a 220VS Hawk. I've cut everything from fretwork to beer steins. Its an addiction for me! Yes, I have a shop full of woodworking equipment, but my scroll saws are the heaviest used in the shop! Since I got off the road, scrolling has kept me out of the sanitarium!! Enjoy every minute you get at the saw! It's a constant learning experience!!

I started about 40 years ago. I bought al saw and can't remember the brand but it was pretty proximity and cost about  $5 used only used pined blades. cut only shapes and got them out of magi zines and coloring books I then went to a sears saw then upgraded to a better sears which took both types blades Thats when I begin to learn more.then to a 21" sears which I used for about 20 years. bought a Porter cable, It was a piece of junk the waarentee wasn't much more than ended and it went to pot bought a DeWalt 788 I now have 2 Dewalt 788 one for backup and using out doors

IKE

Back in the mid 60's, I went to an auction with my Grandfather.  He bought what I thought was a box of junk but he said just wait.  When we got home he put together an old cast iron scrolling jigsaw (Delta) floor model.  After he got it running with new oil in the transmission, it was fascinating to see what could be done.  A few years later, I found one at a garage sale.  The guy had bought out a woodshop and didn't want the old Delta.  I lugged it home and began experimenting.  Never saw a scrolling book and of course no internet.  Started cutting out shapes and creating Christmas ornaments that I gave instead of sending cards.  Was quite a hit as they were usually painted with the date and it turned out a lot of people liked a dated ornament every year.  I used that saw for 20 yrs until I broke down and bought a Delta Q3 in 94 by which time, I was in the business of doing custom cutting for tole painters and the old Delta was hard on blades.  Found the on line site back in the 90's that has been taken over by the magazine.  At that time, it was hosted by Arpop who still posts patterns on his own site.  I am now retired and don't work to order anymore, at least not when I can avoid it but do things that I want to when I can.

I've been scrolling for over 7 years but probably longer than that. I started out with a "cheap" saw and was hooked almost immediately. Started out doing simple things, like silhouette cut outs and gradually worked my way up to intracut patterns.  Never took a lesson, but read a lot and watched YouTube videos to help me along. Joined a few sites and asked questions and got to meet a lot of great folks. I do other forms of woodworking but scrolling is one of my favorites.

Started scrolling over 20 years ago.  When my kids were elementary school age, we struggled every year to find affordable and appropriate gifts for all of the school teachers, bus drivers, Sunday School, music and dance instructors they had.  Seemed like we were buying more gifts for teachers than family.  Anyway,  I had some background in carpentry and other types of woodworking and the wife & I liked to browse local craft shows, so I figured I could make something.  Christmas ornaments were something that appealed to me, so I tried my hand at making some.  I didn't have a scroll saw at the time, so for the first couple of years, my creations were limited to those of fairly simple design and execution.  I decided to get a scroll saw to allow me to do finer detail on smaller pieces of wood.  That started the learning curve and led to a search for pattern books, but I hadn't discovered the internet resources yet. 

About 10 years ago, I found a local scroll saw club and have been affiliated with them ever since.  By that time, I had already learned most of the skills and many of the "tricks" needed, by trial & error.  However, being part of the club helped open up the world of internet resources for patterns and supplies, plus we always like to share ideas and techniques, so there are always a few more tricks and tips that these old dogs can learn.

After 20+ years of scrolling, I've made thousands of Christmas ornaments, but I've made a lot of other stuff as well.  It's been a great hobby, with lots of diversity of projects and styles to keep the interest up.

I've been known to do a lot of relief carving, crosses and such and I bought my old dremel scroll saw off of craigslist with the idea of using it to remove waste wood from carvings. Of course I had to do some research on scroll saws and when I saw what else you could do with it, I had to experiment. I read books, magazines and of course came onto this site a lot. Within 3 months I designed my own portrait pattern, cut it, framed it and gave it to my ex-Brother-in-law for Christmas. That was 4 years ago. I hardly carve anymore, I love scrolling to much and want to do that much more. I continue to learn, and try new things that I think up. I am just getting to the point of receiving commissions and selling pieces I have made and that is a very gratifying feeling. I am still on the same saw and I want to upgrade so badly, my saw shakes really bad, it makes detail cutting difficult. Maybe next year.    

Almost 2 years ago, soon after my 40th birthday I was going through a rough patch.  I was stressed out and not dealing with it well and I realized I needed a way to unwind after work and take my mind off of things.  About 10 years earlier I had seen some scroll saw art online and was fascinated by it so I had bought a very cheap saw and tried my hand at it, but a combination of a crap saw and not being able to afford wood and supplies put a quick end to it.  So when I was looking for a hobby once again scrolling came to mind.  My Mother-in-law had given me a Ryobi saw a few years earlier that had been collecting dust in my shed so I dusted it off, oiled it up and bought some wood and went to cutting.  It didn't take long and I was obsessed.  I found this site while searching for free patterns I could cut and it's been a blessing.  The folks here not only gave me a great deal of good advice, but also have been very encouraging.  Now days I do a lot of different woodworking, but scrollsawing is by far my favorite and the one I spend the most time on.

Gotta add my two cents worth. I'm pretty much of a newby. Saw some examples on what you can do with a scroll saw, and wow, the projects I've seen here are absolutely beautiful. Nothing to brag about yet mainly practicing lots and lots and having fun just with that. You certainly came to the right place. The people on this forum are wonderful and very friendly. Ready to help you. Just tons of wisdom and help here. I bought a 788 dewalt saw on craiglist and love it. Wasn't looking for anything fancy just got lucky with my buy. Read and ask questions as I did, all my question answered.   

I started about 20 years ago. I took Woodworking 1 in high school and my teacher had us each do an intarsia. I ended up taking woods all 4 years and did several intarsia pieces among other wood projects. Once in college I found it easier, cheaper, and more meaningful to make Christmas and Wedding gifts instead of buying them. So I bought a Delta 40-570 and started doing some outlines and other projects as I could find plans. I've since expanded into fretwork. I still have my delta, and really like it, but am working up to something with a bigger throat. I've also branched out into other woodworking projects and recently started turning. Since I found the village I started using GiMP to make my own patterns. I've always worked full time, so it is just a hobby, but at some point, I'd like to start selling projects instead of giving them away as I do now. Tim.

I have only been scrolling about 5 years. I have been doing woodworking all my life. But....a bad back with its screws and bolts made me look for something woodworking that I can do sitting. I started w with a really cheap pinned scroll saw and then bought a Hegner.

I can sit in a high stool with back support and scroll for a long time. I scroll for fun and not to sell.

It is great making toys and puzzles for grand kids. It is amazing to see projects here as there are so many different kinds of scroll work. There are some I do not like but appreciate the skill. I love Intarsia, stand up puzzles and wooden toys. My favorite professional scroll people are Kathy Wise and Judy Peterson.

I started scrolling 9 years ago. I got a job teaching woodshop and we had a couple of scroll saws in the shop. I bought a book and started searching online. I practiced a lot and started to teach my middle school kids to use the scroll saw for our projects at school. 

This forum, is amazing! you will find so much great help from the members. if you have any questions just ask, an answer will be up shortly. 

Katie

I started scrolling some when I was in my early teens, I'm going on 72.   Made a couple of projects for my mom.   I then left the hobby for a long time.   I got serious about it again about 2001.   A few years later I bought Gary Brownings book to learn how to turn a photograph into a fretwork pattern.  i evolved from there to try just about anything that can be done with a scroll saw.   I have learned from numerous sources including this and other forums, and yes practice,practice,and more practice.   Oh, one more thing, asking questions.   If you are new to this hobby please don't be afraid to ask questions.   Like others have said before me, the only dumb questions are the ones not asked.   

Edited by stoney

Been scrolling about 10 years. Bought a single speed Delta in a pawn shop to cut Pinewood Derby car for my son.  Had NO idea what I was doing.  Broke blades, swore at the machine--probably would have burned it if was not solid steel.

Found the SSWW board and Steve Good site, learned the basics from there and just practiced. Rebuilt the Delta until major parts got to be a huge problem, bought a Hitachi and abused it for a few years and my wife asked me why I didn't buy a better saw since I enjoyed the hobby so much.  So, i got a DeWalt and haven't looked back.

Do a ton of fretwork and word art (nothing like the quantities of Kevin) and just started trying compound cutting again.  Tried when I was a wee little scroller, but was in over my head at the time.

My husband brought himself a scroll saw, can't remember what make it was but it was a 16".  He had only had it a week and I asked how it worked, so he showed me.  That was about 16 years ago and I have a DeWalt and an EX21 now and he still doesn't scroll because basically I scrolled so much I killed it.  I just loved it from day one so I started buying books but I couldn't be bothered reading them I would just find the patterns I liked and scroll.  Wish I had found out about scrolling sooner.

Marg