🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

EX-21 dust collection

Bill WIlson

I upgraded to an EX-21 earlier this year.  I've used it a few times since then and am still getting used to it.  One thing I'm not sure I like about it, is the dust collection port they designed into the table.  Any other EX users have one with the DC port?  What are your impressions?

Thanks

If you are talking about the dust port located underneath the table. Yes I have, it came on my EX21. The plastic diaphragm did not last very long. I have since removed it and now have a large scope that is mounted to the frame and connected to my dust collector via a 4" hose. My dust collection method is much better.

I also use a vacuum hose attached to the under side of the upper arm to remove dust that accumulates on top of the project.

Edited by amazingkevin

Like the others stated that little plastic film was a pain in the butt so I removed it also. As far is the dust collecting port I have a unique situation.

In my basement my saw is placed by the window and I put the Rigid vacuum on my deck and run the hose through the window to the DC port. The noise from the Rigid with most of the saw dust is outside. But for some strange reason I still look like I was playing in the sand box after a full day of scrolling.

If you have a strong vacuum, you might find that larger pieces are pulled snug to the table, causing issues trying to move it around.  A closed off vacuum is very strong, so you may need to create an alternate "place" for the vacuum to suck so that you never have that issue.  Splitting the hose with a Y with that second connection going to a top suction hose might be a good solution.  You basically need to create a controlled leak.  Anyway, if you remove the membrane, none of this will matter.  I suspect the membrane idea will be replaced soon enough.

--------Randy

Edited by hotshot

Looks like I'll be taking the membrane off of mine.  Thanks guys!

Randy - the coupling I'm using to attach the extension hose from my shop vac has holes drilled in it, because I had a similar problem when connected to my random orbit sander.  Even with that controlled leak, I still don't like the amount of back pressure when connected to the saw.

I bought an EX-21 about 6 months ago. In my opinion, the dust collector works great if you are doing "perimeter" type work. But if you are doing fret work, the dust collector becomes a major pain in the neck. I took mime off after about a month.