🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Bear Dream Catcher

Denny Knappen

I finally finished the third Dream Catcher.  An artist at ArtCrafters will have all three for sale at a pow wow here in Dayton.  This Bear Dream Catcher is made from 1/2" Ash approximately 8" in diameter.  the feathers are 1/4" Holly and 1/8" Bloodwood.  I stack cut the feathers to make cutting easier.  The pattern is by Sue Mey and found in CWWC May 2012.  I used FD UR #3 blades and 50% BLO for a finish.  Comments welcome. 

Sorry something happened when I opened and it posted in the Intarsia section.  This is not intarsia obviously.  It would be appreciated if an admin moved the thread.

post-29198-0-89128700-1469549296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Denny Knappen

I finally finished the third Dream Catcher.  An artist at ArtCrafters will have all three for sale at a pow wow here in Dayton.  This Bear Dream Catcher is made from 1/2" Ash approximately 8" in diameter.  the feathers are 1/4" Holly and 1/8" Bloodwood.  I stack cut the feathers to make cutting easier.  The pattern is by Sue Mey and found in CWWC May 2012.  I used FD UR #3 blades and 50% BLO for a finish.  Comments welcome. 

Sorry something happened when I opened and it posted in the Intarsia section.  This is not intarsia obviously.  It would be appreciated if an admin moved the thread.

I just noticed on closing that you said the feathers were stack cut,Wow i'd have never know ,Looked like the real thing to me!!!!!

Awesome job, Mr. Knappen! I agree, Sir! Cutting them feathers ain't no easy task. I make several dream catchers, myself. Mostly from hardwood. I've been cutting the feathers for a couple years now. It takes some serious time, & focus. And before anybody barks about pictures, I'm perty technologically illiterate when it comes to loading pictures, so I've got a FB page my granddaughter set up for me called Sawdust Haven. You're more than welcome to have a look see at our work there. I just cut 16 cedar feathers for a couple catchers I'm working on. Damn, that was a job! Keep up the awesome work, brother!

Awesome job, Mr. Knappen! I agree, Sir! Cutting them feathers ain't no easy task. I make several dream catchers, myself. Mostly from hardwood. I've been cutting the feathers for a couple years now. It takes some serious time, & focus. And before anybody barks about pictures, I'm perty technologically illiterate when it comes to loading pictures, so I've got a FB page my granddaughter set up for me called Sawdust Haven. You're more than welcome to have a look see at our work there. I just cut 16 cedar feathers for a couple catchers I'm working on. Damn, that was a job! Keep up the awesome work, brother!

Scrollsaw703 - I checked out your Facebook page (found here for others looking: https://www.facebook.com/Sawdust-Haven-265994370272157/?ref=ts&fref=ts

You do great work as well. Love the feathers and the dream catcher posted there. This might give Denny some ideas for others to do which is another reason I posted a link back to your page. You can always get your granddaughter to help you out on here with photos too.

Way to go Denny, hopefully things sell well at the pow-wow. I've never ever thought of selling things at the pow-wows around here, I wonder if it would be profitable? I don't think I'd sell much, over the years I've never had one sale to the natives in our area. One day, I asked a native friend of mine why they weren't interested in all of the items native related. His answer to me was, that the white man has persecuted them for years. And, that they don't like to see white people make money off of their ancestors images. I've actually had a few of them ask me to stop doing it, there was no threats or anything, but they really wanted me to stop.

Len

Well thank you obsessed scroller!:):) I sincerely appreciate your compliments, Sir! I'd like to think I take ALOT of pride in my work, & after 24 years Of scrolling, I can only hope it shows. I'm part Cherokee, so my love for the Native American has ALOT to do with some of my projects. And, since I'm considered handicapped, I don't work as fast as I used to. I drove truck over the road for 35 years, and up until four years ago, when I had a nervous breakdown in the truck, & wrecked my truck, woodworking was just a stress reliever. But my Sawbones, the Law, & my loving bride decided my driving career was finished. My back fell apart in several places, & I could no longer pass a DOT physical, so I retired. & wasn't even 50 yet. Since that time, I've had one major back surgery, & my Sawbones tells me I've got two more to endure. Woodworking keeps me out of the sanitarium ;) & keeps my hands & mind busy. I'm a self taught woodworker. Bein' in the trucking business my whole life, I didn't know anything else. After the Doc gave me the long face, & told me I was done, my bride decided I needed a hobby. I'd never had one! She picked woodworking. So, we started buying a few odds & ends used tools & equipment, I'd check out books at the library on the tools we bought, took them on the road with me to read until I'd read books on every piece of equipment we owned at the time. By then, I was ready to start hands on learning. I've spent the better part of 20 years learning, doing, learning, reading, well, you get the idea. Now we rent a retired beauty shop across the street from our house, all of our iron is there, & my woodworking goes on there. It ain't much, but, it's ok for us. We have 2 lathes, 5 scroll saws, drill press, table saw, RAS, jointer, belt & disc sander, 2 band saws, air compressor, all the air nailers I'll ever use, & a semi load of hand, cordless, & electric tools. I'd like to think I've got most everything I need. Oh, there's a couple toys I'd still like to have, along w/more lathe tools, but scrolling is my main fascination. My apologies for the ramble, but, I've found sometimes getting to know folks is a little easier when it comes to asking questions if they have an idea of what's in your tool arsenal. To a point, I guess. I enjoy chatting with fellas about scrolling, & tools. Habits, & helping one another. Just my way, I guess. In closing, again, I appreciate you taking a look at our page, & liking our work. Enjoy the evening. I'll try & get some shop pictures, & see if I can get my granddaughter to post them on here for me. Regards & God bless, Brad.