🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

How to cut a pattern?

hawkeye10

I have been looking at patterns here on SSV and have a question. Here is a link to a pattern I picked at random but do I cut the white out or the black. I am not at the level to cut this pattern but just me looking at it it's confusing on what to cut. Not only this pattern but others as well.

Thanks

Most patterns will have you cut out the black or gray.  If the white is supposed to be cut there is usually a notation saying so.  The best way to tell is to look at the picture and see if it makes sense on which to cut (i.e. a big chunk of the picture will fall out or it would take out other surrounding detail) I hope that made sense lol

Typically, for portrait type patterns in the vault, you cut out the black. But not all patterns are drawn that way. If you buy patterns from online sources or get patterns from scroll saw magazine, there may not be any shading at all. And if you use patterns from Steve Good, you cut out the white.

The bottom line is it is up to you to determine what to cut.

Which ever color is not broken up is the wood color, the broken spots here and there are to come out.  If it is remove the white, all the black will be touching.  If it is remove the black, all the white will be touching.

Yeah you forgot the link.  :)

Russell

Edited by Birchbark

Typically, for portrait type patterns in the vault, you cut out the black. But not all patterns are drawn that way. If you buy patterns from online sources or get patterns from scroll saw magazine, there may not be any shading at all. And if you use patterns from Steve Good, you cut out the white.

If it's left up to me I might be in big trouble.   :lol:   :lol:   :o

Don, for this type of pattern, you normally cut the black. Cutting the black is what makes the picture, if it wasn't for the black the picture wouldn't show. So, in the future all you have to do, is figure out what will actually show the picture then cut it out. I hope this helps, and that it isn't just more confusing.

Len

I never noticed Steve Good's patterns were that way and I have several, it seems backwards to me.  The patterns I have with no shading at all I shade them in myself. (photocopy of course)  I have a stack of patterns over an inch high and no saw yet. lol

I have been looking at patterns here on SSV and have a question. Here is a link to a pattern I picked at random but do I cut the white out or the black. I am not at the level to cut this pattern but just me looking at it it's confusing on what to cut. Not only this pattern but others as well.

Thanks

Confusing but once you know you know."im 65 and forget so dont feel bad .Great question

I never noticed Steve Good's patterns were that way and I have several, it seems backwards to me.  The patterns I have with no shading at all I shade them in myself. (photocopy of course)  I have a stack of patterns over an inch high and no saw yet. lol

You got the patterns and I got the saw (finally) come on over and we will get to work.