painters tape

nancy

Hello, Im new to the sight and have a question. I have always used spray adhesive directly on wood for pattern placement. This works well, but hard to sand off. I read that using painters tape on wood then using spray adhesive is better because it lubes the blade and easier to remove paper. Does anyone use this method and does it work well when cutting very, very small intricate pieces? Thanks bunch for any input.

Hi Nancy, and welcome to the Village !..When I first started scrolling I used painters tape on all my projects...then I started to glue directly to the wood like a lot of the folks in the Village do....I am now using the tape about 75% of the time...I find sanding the finished  product easier ....I have become very cautious when removing the tape from intricate projects, slow and easy is my motto...just my two cents...Steve.

Edited by Scrolling Steve

Hi Newbie, I also use spray adhesive but on more complicated patterns or stack cutting, I will use Scrolleronline's 2 sided tape. It is expensive and I will use scraps and piece them together for maximum usage. Either method to apply, it's well worth in investing in a good wooden or hard rubber wallpaper seam roller to adhere the pattern to the wood. As to removal of patterns, I don't care for sanding but use either mineral spirits or "Off" in a well ventilated space. Patterns come right up and could be used again. Another method is to use a heat gun. It also works well but one of the chemicals is still the best way to get off the glue off the wood. Hope that helps.

Welcome to the forum from TN.  I don't use painter tape.  I print my patterns on contact paper.  It peels off with a little work and there is no residue.

I like the idea of contact paper but haven't found any in the stores that I thought would work. Either it seems too thick to go through the printer, it is labeled as permanent not removable, or it isn't white. Where do you buy it from and does it have a brand name on it? Thanks! About the painters tape; I like it on solid woods, but don't use it on plywoods because sometimes it actually removes little pieces of the veneer when you peel it off. I've had many hours of work ruined and had to either do much tiny repair or throw the piece out and start over. 

Hi Nancy, welcome to the Village. I do not use painters tape because it becomes tedious removing the small bits of tape between fret holes. Instead, I glue the pattern to the wood, then apply a single layer of clear packing tape. The tape lubricates the blade to help eliminate burning and the blade last longer. It's simple to remove the pattern and tape by heating the pattern with a heat gun or hair dryer, or spritzing some odorless mineral spirits onto the pattern, let it sit for a few seconds, and the patter and tape will lift right off.

So, come on in and join the final!

Welcome to the asylum Nancy !! I use blue tape and spray adhesive. On intricate pieces where there is a chance of splintering, I ALWAYS put a cheap 1/4" luan on top and apply the pattern to that. Run the grain of the sacrifice piece opposite the direction of what you are keeping. That saves you from a lot of the grief of tiny pieces breaking out, plus the extra thickness gives you better control of the blade.

Hope this helps Friend.

jerry

Hello, Im new to the sight and have a question. I have always used spray adhesive directly on wood for pattern placement. This works well, but hard to sand off. I read that using painters tape on wood then using spray adhesive is better because it lubes the blade and easier to remove paper. Does anyone use this method and does it work well when cutting very, very small intricate pieces? Thanks bunch for any input.

I used to spray the wood and then place the pattern on .Now i spray the pattern ,wait till tacky and then apply on the wood,                                   less mess on the wood when i use 50/50 acetone an mineral spirits mix