Greetings From NY

docf225

Greetings,

My parents named me William, my Marines named me Doc and I have had a life-long addiction to sawdust.

It started innocently enough...hanging around watching my Dad in his shop. He was career Navy - did 20 years Active Duty and 25 in the Reserves. During his reserve time, he taught wood shop at a vocational high school. He always had a small wood shop no matter where we lived. He made furniture, cabinets and toys. He taught me how to use the power tools and let me "help" (more like get in the way). He gave me an old Dremel saw he found at a farm sale which I all but burned it out turning perfectly fine wood into sawdust, I cut fishing lures, blanks for carving and small signs. I did a LOT of carving, whittling and tried my hand a small boxes and shelves with limited success.

I continued turning good wood into sawdust while I served at various base hobby shops. I spent much of my off duty time  building birdhouses and small gifts for family. When I came home, I entered the Fire Service and used my off time to build up my own shop. I purchased a new scroll saw, a band saw,, table saw and a used lathe. I still make lures, carve various things and scroll fretwork ans intarsia work. In addition, I use my tools to make small wooden models and toys - mostly for the children of friends.

Dad still scrolls and makes small wooden gifts which he sells at craft fairs. I'm retiring from the Fire Department in January. and I might try my hand at selling some of the some of my stuff with him.

I'm looking forward to meeting some like minded folks and learning more techniques.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled lives. Thanks for looking

Doc Wiseman

Greetings,

My parents named me William, my Marines named me Doc and I have had a life-long addiction to sawdust.

It started innocently enough...hanging around watching my Dad in his shop. He was career Navy - did 20 years Active Duty and 25 in the Reserves. During his reserve time, he taught wood shop at a vocational high school. He always had a small wood shop no matter where we lived. He made furniture, cabinets and toys. He taught me how to use the power tools and let me "help" (more like get in the way). He gave me an old Dremel saw he found at a farm sale which I all but burned it out turning perfectly fine wood into sawdust, I cut fishing lures, blanks for carving and small signs. I did a LOT of carving, whittling and tried my hand a small boxes and shelves with limited success.

I continued turning good wood into sawdust while I served at various base hobby shops. I spent much of my off duty time  building birdhouses and small gifts for family. When I came home, I entered the Fire Service and used my off time to build up my own shop. I purchased a new scroll saw, a band saw,, table saw and a used lathe. I still make lures, carve various things and scroll fretwork ans intarsia work. In addition, I use my tools to make small wooden models and toys - mostly for the children of friends.

Dad still scrolls and makes small wooden gifts which he sells at craft fairs. I'm retiring from the Fire Department in January. and I might try my hand at selling some of the some of my stuff with him.

I'm looking forward to meeting some like minded folks and learning more techniques.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled lives. Thanks for looking

Doc Wiseman

welcome Doc,You've found a home,Were here to help an drain your brain with all you've learned the hard way.Come on in ,sit own for a while  ,pour some coffee an make lots of like helpfull freinds.Your family now so dig in ask and share,we love pictures and give great compliments on your work ,show van tell,Welcome again ,Don't miss a day here

Scroll Saw Village is a great place to hang out and connect with people with like interest. Used to live in the Hudson Valley in Fishkill. Beautiful area. I'm now not missing the snow in the Upstate on SC. Don't be afraid to post a question or show your work. It's always appreciated and members will gladly respond. Keep following the line and scroll on!

Welcome from the Blue Ridge Mts of VA.

Thank you for your service.  As my fellow villagers have expressed, I do believe you will enjoy your

time here at the ssv.  People here are always willing to help with any questions, and as you will

find out some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Tell Dad hi and welcome also.

Jack

Welcome Doc from the foothills of the Smokey Mountains in East TN.  Good to have you join us.  Thank you to your father and yourself for your service and sacrifice to our country.  Sounds like you continued that with your Fire work.  You have been doing different woodworking for a long time now and we look forward to seeing pictures of your work.  Glad you still have your dad to work with and maybe set up shop with when your retire!

Edited by meflick