Greetings from South Carolina

TigronTwo

Hey everyone -

A little about me - I'm married to a wonderful woman, Wendi (14 years come February), and we have two children, Adam and Destany, who are both moved out and married and on their own. So, now we have two dogs, and Wendi's Mom, Wanda, who share the house with us. I am an architectural drafter by trade, but spent 12 years in the Navy as an Electronics Technician/Fire Controlman.

I'm a new/returning scroller. I did some projects a few years back, and really like fretwork, but I hated changing the blades on my Craftsman, so I gave it up for a bit while I went to school and we moved around a bit. I recently pulled the old Craftsman out to make a sign for my turning business, and remembered how much I liked scrolling. So, my mother-in-law was kind enough to get me a DeWalt 788 for my 45th birthday, and I'm ready to get started back into it.

I'm very interested in learning to make patterns, as I would like to do portraits. I have Photoshop and Illustrator, but have to figure out how to use them. (Hopefully Wendi will help me, because she's awesome like that, and she's my wife). I'll post a few of my past projects in the Gallery later, I only have a few so far.

Can't wait to start using the new DeWalt and seeing what kind of new ideas I can come up with for some projects!

Welcome to the addicted to scrolling club!   I call them "saw dust buddies".   I love to do fretwork as well but yes... blade changing is frustrating. The end project is usually worth it though.  I usually buy patterns but can create some from my "coyote" program that makes patterns from photo's. I have to go take some photo's though of things that are feasible to make a pattern.  What kind of outlet do you have for your projects?

Woodpecker...Janie

Welcome to The Village, Tim. You will soon find that changing blades has just become a lot easier as you get comfortable with your DeWalt. The biggest helper I learned with mine is to take a piece of 2 X 4, about 12 inches long and use it to hold the upper arm up as you go to hole by hole or change the blade. After an extremely short time, it become automatic and you don't even know you are using it. It frees up both hands and costs zero.

Thank you for all your years of servicing in the military. Can't wait to see what you enjoy cutting. Log on often and continue to post, that is the way we all get to know each other. Any questions about ANYTHING to do with wood working.

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

What kind of outlet do you have for your projects?

Woodpecker...Janie

Janie - as far as my outlet for my projects. To start with, I'm going to be giving them as gifts, but I already do some craft shows throughout the year for my turning projects, so I was thinking about adding some scroll work to my table to add more selection. I am also doing some wood rings here soon.

Welcome from Minnesota to another blue water sailor on the SSV.  As a relative newcomer I have to say this is one of the friendliest and most helpful forums I have visited.  Get into using the saw.  The more you cut the more you will want to cut.  

I highly recommend using a well fitting, comfortable dust mask.  Sawdust from the scrollsaw is nearly as fine as sanding dust.  I have tried a number and found these on Amazon.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEXIS4S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They seal well and are very comfortable to wear.

Welcome!