Scroll sawing is completely foreign to me...

BBerguson

I've been woodworking for about 23 years and have a fairly large dedicated wood shop. Recently, I started cutting out some "Christmas" trees on my bandsaw for a project I've been wanted to do for about 2 years. I wanted to cut about 400 of them to start with to build 100 of the items so I needed some help. My 11 year old daughter, being the crafty person she is started helping me and I trained her how to use the band saw to cut the trees. She was doing a great job until momma found out... She was too afraid of her cutting herself on the saw (and yes, I was worried too, she is a true Daddy's girl afterall and I pity the fool that ever hurts her... :-). ). Anyways, It was decided that it was too dangerous even though she was great at keeping her little fingers out of the way. It just wasn't worth it.

So, what to do... Maybe a scroll saw would work. I started doing some research on saws, projects, blades, videos and forums, which brought me here! To say that I'm impressed with the talent here would be an understatement but it's all I've got right now with the little to nothing I know about scrolling. But, I'm impressed!!! I think I found the right place to help me (and my daughter) get started.

What do I know about scroll saws and scrolling? I just told you... NOTHING! I have never even touched a a scroll saw let alone used one. My researching (and budget) keeps pointing me towards a Dewalt 788 and I haven't really read anything to convince me I'm wrong. I think it would be any easy saw to work with for me and my daughter and ultimately, she's the one that counts...

So, any advice and or help in my journey would be appreciated.

Bryan

Bryan., That is the best introduction I have ever read. Perfect introduction showing the possibilities

of owning "two' scroll saws. A real "LOL" and big smile on my face. 

A scroll saw is the perfect tool (IMHO). You cannot do all that a scrollsaw offers.

Hey, and you know how to pump egos. :D

Your Daughter and you have the support of all SSV

I've been woodworking for about 23 years and have a fairly large dedicated wood shop. Recently, I started cutting out some "Christmas" trees on my bandsaw for a project I've been wanted to do for about 2 years. I wanted to cut about 400 of them to start with to build 100 of the items so I needed some help. My 11 year old daughter, being the crafty person she is started helping me and I trained her how to use the band saw to cut the trees. She was doing a great job until momma found out... She was too afraid of her cutting herself on the saw (and yes, I was worried too, she is a true Daddy's girl afterall and I pity the fool that ever hurts her... :-). ). Anyways, It was decided that it was too dangerous even though she was great at keeping her little fingers out of the way. It just wasn't worth it.

So, what to do... Maybe a scroll saw would work. I started doing some research on saws, projects, blades, videos and forums, which brought me here! To say that I'm impressed with the talent here would be an understatement but it's all I've got right now with the little to nothing I know about scrolling. But, I'm impressed!!! I think I found the right place to help me (and my daughter) get started.

What do I know about scroll saws and scrolling? I just told you... NOTHING! I have never even touched a a scroll saw let alone used one. My researching (and budget) keeps pointing me towards a Dewalt 788 and I haven't really read anything to convince me I'm wrong. I think it would be any easy saw to work with for me and my daughter and ultimately, she's the one that counts...

So, any advice and or help in my journey would be appreciated.

Bryan

Brian i gave a DW788 away my first and have bought 6 more for back ups.do i like Dewalt788 scrolls you bet!

Would you compare the sound to a sewing machine? My wife and daughter have been making some sewing crafts and running the sewing machine at the dining room table. It's a relaxing sound to listen to. I'm hoping the scroll saw will be a similar noise level and useable in the basement so my daughter can use it when she wants to. My wood shop is a detached building and I'm not comfortable with her being there alone.

Welcome to the Village Bryan.  I'm Marg from Australia.  Yes I would say it sounds like a sewing machine, maybe a bit louder.  Quite a few of the Villagers scroll in their basement, I would too if I had one. :lol:   My grandson and granddaughter have both used my scroll saws and I had no worries that they would cut a finger off.  If your daughter can use a sewing machine she use a scroll saw.

Marg

Bryan,

First, welcome to the hobby.  Beware though, as it can be addicting.  ;)

Also, it's great that you are getting your daughter involved.  A scrollsaw is just about the perfect power tool for kids to use, as it's about as safe a tool as there is in the shop. 

I think the Dewalt would make a fine saw for you and your daughter.  I had one for many years before I sold it and upgraded to an Excalibur, earlier this year.  I think it's about the most user friendly saw out there. 

Start out with good blades, properly sized and configured for the project at hand.  The right blade makes a lot of difference in the results you get.  Also, with that many trees to cut out, consider stack cutting.  You didn't mention the thickness of the stock you are cutting, but if it's thin enough, you can save a lot of time cutting multiples from stacked blanks. You can post here with any specific questions you may have. Lots of good advice is always available here.

Good luck and have fun making sawdust!

Bryan, welcome to the forum from TN.  What a great introduction.  Getting your daughter involved sounds wonderful.  My first saw was a Hitachi which I returned within a week.  I bought a DW788 and still use it after 10 years.  I also have an EX21 whch is now my go to saw.  I would recommend the DW788.

Thank you all for the welcomes and encouragement! I'm anxious to get started but I'm putting enough hints out to the family about a Christmas present... So, I'd hate to buy one myself and screw up their chance to buy me a nice gift! If there's not one under the tree, I'm off the week after Christmas so I'll go shopping then. In the mean time, I'll keep asking questions and drooling over the incredible work I'm seeing on this site.

The project I'm building has 3/4 inch thick trees. I've been saving my scrap pieces of cherry and oak but have them just about used up cutting with the bandsaw. When I'm done with that, I'll be using 3/4 inch pine. I may see about getting some rough pine and bandsawing and planing to 3/8 but i'm not sure that will be worth the extra work for the minimal reduced cost. Trying not to think too much about that stuff because ultimately, I want my daughter to have some fun making something she can sell.

Looks like I need to study up on blades...

Bryan

Welcome Bryan.  I think you and your daughter will enjoy working together in creating things in your shop.  Sounds like you are well on that way.  Hope the family comes through for you with all those "hints" you are dropping!  If not, sounds like you are ready to find what you need.  I look forward to reading more and seeing about your's and your daughter's adventures.

Yes you can use the scroll saw in the basement.  I have been doing that since I started scrolling almost 4 years ago.   Get a 20 X 20" fan and put a good furnace filter on the front and pull the dust away from the operator.  A lot of us do it that way. 

The Dewalt is a great saw in my opinion.  If the 788 that I bought used off of CraigsList (which is now at least 15 years old)  would die tomorrow I would buy another without a second thought.  You will want a stand or make your own.  It should be bolted down. 

If you have questions, ask away.  The folks here are very helpful.

I also share my shop with my daughter who just happens to be 50 years old and already forgot more about woodworking than I ever will know, however, I have found that even after 10 years of scrolling, I am still in the learning process aseven though I have been scrolling for almost 10 years, there is so much talent shared here that I find I am always finding out something new constantly.

One thing you need to know.. The big box stores are not the place to buy your blades. They simply do not carry the blades you will need. Because you still have time before you get your saw, ask about the blades you will need and you will find several suggestions will follow in the matter of minutes.

Glad you are not letting your daughter use the band saw any longer as how could you ever forgive yourself if she were to loose a finger or two?

Dick

heppnerguy