Hello from South Louisiana

knightyme

Hello everyone. Well, I appreciate this introductory section, as it gives me the opportunity to see that I'm not the only newbie onboard. :)

As stated, I'm brand new to the hobby, having purchased my very first scroll saw this past October. I live out in the country now, not too terribly far from the city in which I worked, as a police officer for thirty-one years. After retiring, I wanted to do something and I felt like I wanted to do something creative, with my hands and the proper tools. I visited a local craft show, whereas I saw a glossy, board mounted photo (city skyline) and for some reason that sort of stuck with me. The more I thought about it, the more refined I got in my idea as to what I could do.

As such, I completed my very first project on my new scroll saw today. It's not intricate. In fact, I suspect a lot of the intermediate and advanced guys and ladies would consider it pretty easy. Well, that's what I was shooting for, to start. :) I thought I'd share my first effort with you folks. Hope you don't mind. It's my "retirement badge."

Wally-samp.png

Edited by knightyme

Welcome aboard. First of all int to thank you for all your years serving the people of your community. You will indeed enjoy your retirement as you go about exploring your skills with the scroll saw.

Tell us what saw you purchased and also feel free to explore all the nooks and crannies on this sigh. There is so much to discover. Be sure and log on often so we all can get to know you and you us

Dick

heppnerguy

Welcome to the Village Ron.  I'm Marg from Australia.  We all have to start somewhere.  :)   If you have any questions just ask, does not matter if you think they are stupid, to us no question is stupid except the ones you don't ask when you need help.  So pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

Marg

Hello everyone. Well, I appreciate this introductory section, as it gives me the opportunity to see that I'm not the only newbie onboard. :)

As stated, I'm brand new to the hobby, having purchased my very first scroll saw this past October. I live out in the country now, not too terribly far from the city in which I worked, as a police officer for thirty-one years. After retiring, I wanted to do something and I felt like I wanted to do something creative, with my hands and the proper tools. I visited a local craft show, whereas I saw a glossy, board mounted photo (city skyline) and for some reason that sort of stuck with me. The more I thought about it, the more refined I got in my idea as to what I could do.

As such, I completed my very first project on my new scroll saw today. It's not intricate. In fact, I suspect a lot of the intermediate and advanced guys and ladies would consider it pretty easy. Well, that's what I was shooting for, to start. :) I thought I'd share my first effort with you folks. Hope you don't mind. It's my "retirement badge."

Wally-samp.png

looks like your one the right track.Nothing better than finishing  a scroll saw project that's close to your heart.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply! Heppnerguy, when I purchased my scroll saw, I kind of went in blind. By "kind of" I mean that a retired police detective, from Odessa, Texas showed me his saw and he loves it. So, I, too, purchased the Delta model 40-694, 20" scroll saw. Just as an added note, I started out using Delta blades, then quickly migrated to Olson's. My buddy from Texas enlightened me to a site called Mike's Flying Dutchman which looks promising for blades.

Hi Wombatie! And thanks for the welcome! I must agree with you on the only stupid question being the unasked ones as well. I used to tell the police officers that I trained, that very thing. If you don't know something, don't pretend you do, and get yourself and someone else hurt. ASK. :) Believe me, I'm beyond being embarrassed about asking "stupid questions" as I'm full of them! :D Thank you for the reinforcement.

Thanks Kevin, I agree!!

Hello Lawson. I see you're from S. Tennessee. I hope y'all are safe from those fires that virtually destroyed one of my favorite places (Gatlinburg). Thank you for the welcome and the compliment.

Thanks Steve! I hope so. I also see where this hobby can be downright addicting as well!! Looking forward to learning as much as I can.

Thank you Dave!

Edited by knightyme

Welcome aboard from East TN. I'm in the Knoxville area so just a little bit away from one of your favorite places.  The fires have been horrendous and a lot has been destroyed there but a lot, unlike early reports, has been saved.  The good news is that we are getting some heavy rains in the area today so we are hopeful that will help a lot in extinguishing the remaining flames.  We have been in an extreme drought in the area with little to no measurable rain since about the 5th of July.  They had been fighting a large number of forest fires and high winds Monday night just sent everything spiraling out of control very quickly in about 15-20 minute timespan they have said.  Unfortunately, that front did not bring in much if any rain and so things just went from very bad to devastating quickly.  Still getting updates on what has and has not been destroyed.  Conflicting reports are making things difficult to know as well.

Congratulations on your retirement from your job as a police officer.  Thanks for your service, and so glad that you made it to retirement and now have time to learn a new hobby.  Looks like you are well on your way.  Your badge looks great!  I look forward to seeing more of your work.