Going From Delta 40-694 to DW-788

knightyme

While my move from my current Delta 4-694 to a DW-788 isn't imminent (I tend to give these things a lot of thought and study), I did have a question that I could not find answered anywhere else.

I found a HEAP of questions/answers at the link I've posted below. In one of the responses, I read where the DW-788 uses 51/4" blades. On my Delta, I use 5" blades. Now, granted I'm still very new to this hobby and that 1/4" may not make ANY difference, however, it's one of those things I want to be certain of, since I have a particular blade that I prefer to use, that happens to only come in 5" (that I know of).

Can anyone expound on this?

Thanks!!

Questions/Answers

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B000022313/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_ql_hza

I noted that on my 694 that there is on "stop" on either the top or bottom holder.  So in theory, one could use a 6 inch (or more?) blade, such as a coping saw.  One would have to remove the pins to make it fit.  Since the 694 is a clone of the 788, it should work on either one.  I have not tried it.  May have to experiment with that some day.   LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have used the Dewalt 788 and just got the Delta 40-694 to me your move is a lateral move same saw different package.

I have a 40-694.  If you look at the schematic for each, they appear to be 95% identical.  Have read on this site that the Delta is harder to get parts for.  Would bet that 788 parts would work fine.  Everyone has their own opinion.  I didn't feel that yellow paint is $100 prettier. 

It is possible the motor mounts are different.  I don't know.

I had already decided to wait and get a delta, I also tend to read and learn b4 jumping ..after the comments here I am glad to wait a bit longer.

No doubt the DeWalt is everything it's owners say but I also feel I am paying for the name.

As far as the parts issue yea Delta hurt them self's and it will take a while to gain the trust they had back, right now your looking at a 5 year warranty ( yes I know what warrantys are worth 😖) but it shows they may be trying . I would think it was the corporate VIP's and bean counters that started the problem because the tools have never been junk , I have used many without problems.

Well that was a nice rant, now I'll go take my medication 😕 ðŸ˜