🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

2nd coat hanger

Montserrat

post-28761-0-80658600-1483842390_thumb.jpg

purple heart.  So tell me why with this hard hard wood, the angel broke off, while I was still cutting that curve at the bottom right, just from the vibration.  I glued it back on, and hope it will keep now. 

Still need to find knobs - that match. 

Edited by Montserrat

attachicon.gif2017-01-06 13.44.18.jpg

purple heart.  So tell me why with this hard hard wood, the angel broke off, while I was still cutting that curve at the bottom right, just from the vibration.  I glued it back on, and hope it will keep now. 

Quality workmanship here .So nice to see.Your spoiling someone! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Monti, it's a nice looking sign, it's to bad that the angel broke off. What type of glue did you use to glue it back in place, for repairs like this I use CA glue the Gel type. I find that using it, makes it a lot easier to place the broken off piece right where it belongs. It has to be the Gel type of glue, or the two pieces weld back together to quickly. And it doesn't take much thick glue to do the job, just a couple of tiny drops. 

Len

attachicon.gif2017-01-06 13.44.18.jpg

looks really good and vibration may have caused it to break. I see the grain of the wood I'd running in the same direction of the thin cuts in her legs witch could have cause the breaking, when cutting thin areas like that you want to run the grain the other way. Jerry

Monti, it's a nice looking sign, it's to bad that the angel broke off. What type of glue did you use to glue it back in place, for repairs like this I use CA glue the Gel type. I find that using it, makes it a lot easier to place the broken off piece right where it belongs. It has to be the Gel type of glue, or the two pieces weld back together to quickly. And it doesn't take much thick glue to do the job, just a couple of tiny drops. 

Len

This would be the glue i would use myself, in fact i'm procrastinating on a piece right now that i hate to mess up on and already broke in three different places. Hopefully i'll have these places back in place and glued on where it won't be noticeable. I'll put up the pics later on, and show.

That purple heart looks like it would be like cedar, where you have to be careful of your cuttings and vibration so that it dosen't break along the grain.

Nice looking project.  if you don't find the knobs to "match" you could find them in a different color/wood that would "complement" them.  So you would have the purple heart signage and then a lighter color wood knob for example that would look nice. Just another thought to try if you can't find something you want.

• 2 weeks later...

You have a fairly large amount of wood being supported by a very small amount of wood left to do the job of holding this together. Even if it had not broken while cutting, it most likely would in transit. My suggestion might be to NOT worry about the exactness of the smallest cut and stop a little early on it. Example in your piece would be to not make the cuts that are partially under the feet. No one would even notice it but the extra wood would be a great help in supporting the figure. Sometimes making small changes in a pattern is a good idea.

Dick

heppnerguy