Another Christmas newbie!

capcrnch

Hi all,

Long time woodworker (Mostly wood turning, furniture building and cutting boards) and new scroll sawer.

I actually purchased a Craftsman scroll saw about 15 years ago, used it once or twice (without luck or joy) and gave up on it. Thinking back on it, I believe I had a problem with vibration and the blade grabbing the wood violently, which led to it collecting dust and being given away years later!

I went into that saw with no education or learning at all. Literally set it up, installed the blade and grabbed some wood.
Reading a lot more this time around, trying to mentally wrap my head around the process before jumping in.

Just ordered a whole mess of blades from TWB to play with and get used to, and mentally, i'm ready to go (Once USPS finally delivers them)

Can't wait to start posting some completed projects!

Welcome!  What saw will you be using now?

I learned the same way, but must've had a little better luck or was too stubborn to give up.  20 some years ago, I had or knew of none of the resources so readily available today.  It would have made learning easier, but being self taught has it's charms. 

Realistically, I never really wanted a scroll saw. I wanted a band saw, but bought the scroll saw because of the price difference. Like I said, no research and no patience.

Years later, I have a bandsaw and I love it (and really, I use the hell out of it!) but instead of it being a "this or that" tool, i'm at a point where I want to add the scroll saw to the arsenal of tools, so I think it will go better this time around!

Hi all,

Long time woodworker (Mostly wood turning, furniture building and cutting boards) and new scroll sawer.

I actually purchased a Craftsman scroll saw about 15 years ago, used it once or twice (without luck or joy) and gave up on it. Thinking back on it, I believe I had a problem with vibration and the blade grabbing the wood violently, which led to it collecting dust and being given away years later!

I went into that saw with no education or learning at all. Literally set it up, installed the blade and grabbed some wood.

Reading a lot more this time around, trying to mentally wrap my head around the process before jumping in.

Just ordered a whole mess of blades from TWB to play with and get used to, and mentally, i'm ready to go (Once USPS finally delivers them)

Can't wait to start posting some completed projects!

Good your starting over .if my blades are in upside down it will slap the wood up and down ,probably what's happening to you.Welcome aboard!

The scrollsaw really opens up a whole other world of unique projects that can only be done on a scrollsaw.  I got my first one because I wanted to make Christmas ornaments.  I had other woodworking tools and several years of making sawdust under my belt.  I didn't have any patterns, just some vague ideas of what I wanted to make, but I didn't have anything that could work to the level of detail I was trying to accomplish. That was 20 some years ago.  In the years since, I have upgraded saws twice, joined a scrollsaw club, of which I am currently president and found a lot of great resources on the internet.  And I still make Christmas ornaments every year.  It's been a fun ride.