Newbie from So Cal

Cuthahotha

Hi all. 

As the post title suggests, I'm a newbie from So Cal.  I have almost no experience with a scroll saw.  The one I currently have is old, and didn't work well the few times I tried it.  Broke after the 3rd or 4th use. It's been up in the broken/unused tool closet for 20 years.

That all being said, I'm nearing in on retirement and looking for a couple of hobbies to carry on with when the 10 hour work days and 4 hour daily commute is over and done with. Currently I'm building out a set of garage cabinets to help get my work area cleaned up and organized.

The past couple of months have been spent looking at all the facets of wood working.  Hundreds of hours on youtube. spending time in various wood working related chat rooms and forums.

I've always been fascinated by good scroll saw work and intarsia.  Looking forward to spending some time with a new scroll saw (not picked out yet, so suggestions would be appreciated).  Pointers on good tutorials would be appreciated. 

Anyway, just stopped by to say hello.

Thanks,

Steve

Ok, I know this is kind of off topic to go here, but I've found on Craigslist the saw mentioned above and an Excalibur.  Both used.   The DeWalt for $320 and EX 21 for $700.  Pictures and description are showing very light usage and clean equipment.  The Ex is out of my budget for now.  But if it's that critical, I can reapportion some budget.  Thoughts?

Hey Steve, welcome to the village! I was born and raised in Riverside, now living in Moorpark in Ventura County.

A good used DeWalt 788 should go for around $250 and a good used EX 21 should go for around $500. You need to haggle the price.

Scrolling is a great hobby to get into. Everyone here will tell you it's relaxing and addictive! So come on in and join the fun!

Hi all. 

As the post title suggests, I'm a newbie from So Cal.  I have almost no experience with a scroll saw.  The one I currently have is old, and didn't work well the few times I tried it.  Broke after the 3rd or 4th use. It's been up in the broken/unused tool closet for 20 years.

That all being said, I'm nearing in on retirement and looking for a couple of hobbies to carry on with when the 10 hour work days and 4 hour daily commute is over and done with. Currently I'm building out a set of garage cabinets to help get my work area cleaned up and organized.

The past couple of months have been spent looking at all the facets of wood working.  Hundreds of hours on youtube. spending time in various wood working related chat rooms and forums.

I've always been fascinated by good scroll saw work and intarsia.  Looking forward to spending some time with a new scroll saw (not picked out yet, so suggestions would be appreciated).  Pointers on good tutorials would be appreciated. 

Anyway, just stopped by to say hello.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks Denny.  I found a 788 lighly used on Craigslist.  Have reached out to the seller.  we'll see.

sorry about your first saw,their making them lots better now.Welcome to the village!

Hey Steve, welcome to the village! I was born and raised in Riverside, now living in Moorpark in Ventura County.

A good used DeWalt 788 should go for around $250 and a good used EX 21 should go for around $500. You need to haggle the price.

Scrolling is a great hobby to get into. Everyone here will tell you it's relaxing and addictive! So come on in and join the fun!

Hi Dan,

I'm down in Temecula.  Thanks for the pricing.  Neither seller have replied, but when they do I've got a price point to push for.  (After being stationed in the Philippines I have haggle skills. :) )

Steve, Hello..... I hope the DeWalt saw works out for you. If not you should be able to find another one on C L  soon. The are a good saw for the money. Parts are easy to get, if needed and there are a lot of videos that explain how to fix anything that should go wrong, by yourself. I hope you log on often and take the time to brows the formun, in it you will see the 'University" tab. It contains tutorials on pattern making should you decide you would like to try that too. 

Dick

heppnerguy