🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Sanding

Montserrat

Buy a set of finger tip protectors like they use at the post office, I think librarians use them also. They're reddish orange in color, and they have dimples all-over them. They don't last forever, but they do last an awful long time. There's difference quality ones, some are made out of rubber, and some are made out of a vinyl mix. The rubber ones are the ones that last the longest, and they fit your finger better.

L.en

Edited by Lucky2

Buy a set of finger tip protectors like they use at the post office, I think librarians use them also. They're reddish orange in color, and they have dimples all-over them. They don't last forever, but they do last an awful long time. There's difference quality ones, some are made out of rubber, and some are made out of a vinyl mix. The rubber ones are the ones that last the longest, and they fit your finger better.

L.en

They are called finger cots. They are available at office supply stores.

On pieces small enough to get my fingers into the sanding drums, I will use a knife to cut a champfer on the piece, then use files and hand sand to a smooth surface.  Don't think that you need to use power sanding for all of it.  Even so, I usually ruin my manicure when using the power sanding, especially when using the mop sander. 

I use Flexx-Rap from Lee Valley.  You can wrap your fingers and then will come off easily and use many times.  I do the thumb and one finger.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=64762&cat=1,42207,64762

First time I saw that stuff, over a decade ago, it was being used by vets to wrap a horses legs, oddly enough it was called vet wrap then.  Now I see it used all over.

Circa 1959, I was 10, I was using a bench grinder with a wire wheel, got my fingers really good, and I hollered a lot when it happened.  When I calmed down, Dad says, 

It's the price of admission if you are going use adult tools, use your eyes and focus and that will happen less

What do you guy use do protect your hands/fingers when sanding intarsia pieces?  I have yet to find the right thing.  At minimum, I scrape a knuckle and break fingernails every time

Suggestions?

For you females this is a big problem but for us males we need to man up and take the punishment.   :lol:   We had the tape to use at the Nissan plant for those that had to push in plastic grommets all day long. That is the way I would go.

I use anything from a craft stick, popsicle stick, paint stir stick, or even scraps of plywood with some double sided tape to hold the piece (or multiple pieces) and the length keeps my fingers clear. Holds well and doesn't affect movement around my flex drum. Works great with a dremel too. I have a jig made of scrap plywood shaped like a capital I that I can clamp onto my work surface that raises a workpiece on a sanding shim/stick (also clamped in place) that is helpful when using a dremel or flex shaft attachment for shaping or flap sanding.

Scott