Box joints

rjweb

I have RJ.  The hardest part is keeping track of the kerf.  When you lay out your joint fingers and then the slots that they go into if you do not take into account the kerf ( the wood sawn away ) the joint will either be too loose or will not fit together.  Consistency is the key.  If you cut it the same you can make adjustments according to need.  I suggest you practice a bit to make them. They really are not that hard, you just need to pay attention to the details.

DW

I have also. It can be a little challenging at first, but once you get it it's goes much faster. If you have a band saw you can make some jigs to give you consistency. Gary MacKay (sp?) has a few books on box making and has some great ideas.

Good afternoon,

Has anyone used their scroll saw to make box joints, i am making some small boxes for puzzles to give as gifts. I thought that would be nice idea for keeping the puzzles in. I think the hardest part would be marking them out, thx RJ

Good afternoon,

Has anyone used their scroll saw to make box joints, i am making some small boxes for puzzles to give as gifts. I thought that would be nice idea for keeping the puzzles in. I think the hardest part would be marking them out, thx RJ

Hang in there the answer you want is coming.

I have also. It can be a little challenging at first, but once you get it it's goes much faster. If you have a band saw you can make some jigs to give you consistency. Gary MacKay (sp?) has a few books on box making and has some great ideas.

Good refferences

I have RJ.  The hardest part is keeping track of the kerf.  When you lay out your joint fingers and then the slots that they go into if you do not take into account the kerf ( the wood sawn away ) the joint will either be too loose or will not fit together.  Consistency is the key.  If you cut it the same you can make adjustments according to need.  I suggest you practice a bit to make them. They really are not that hard, you just need to pay attention to the details.

DW

You have experience in a lot of things.

I make a lot of box joints using the Porter Cable 4216 dovetail jig.  It works well for me, but I'm making boxes that have 10" wide sides, so I need precision and repeatability.  I tried, but wasn't able to get that with a home made jig.

As for using the scroll saw, I would try it for a small box.  If you've done tab & slot construction before, it's a similar process.  As DW said, you have to be very mindful of the tolerances.

I also bought an I-Box jig and haven't looked back. The Freud SBOX8 box joint blade set makes nice clean 1/4 and 3/8" box joint cuts too. I've made and tried a lot of ways to make box joints in the last 50+ years, and this is, by far, the best method that I've ever used. I make a lot of boxes, frequently from Baltic Birch plywood, using this jig and blade combination. It's possible to set the I-Box jig up to make 1/8" box joints, using an 1/8" router bit or saw blade, so very small boxes can be made with it too.

The I-Box inventor also created the Lock Miter Master, a gauge that makes it easy to set up a lock miter bit in a router table. I know him personally, but have no connection to him, Incra, or Infinity Tools, other than being a happy customer. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

Charley

Edited by CharleyL