Hello, I'm new to this

Dylan Welsh

Hello, 

I just bought a scroll saw to expand my home business selling crafts. I have never owned one before and didn't realize how versatile these saw are until after I bought it. I'm interested in learning as much as I can about using it. 

Your going to be glad you found us.We even have free food now and then.Tomorrows your turn to cook breakfast,loltell us about your saw.We here to help make your scrolling as good as it gets .We know all the short cuts to get around problems you may run into.Like using spiral blades for one.Welcome friend!

Hi. I can tell you that there is a LOT of info here and elsewhere on the web. But I will add that the public library system has a LOT of books on scroll sawing. I learned a lot by borrowing books from the library. There are excellent books that review basics of scrolls saws and give an overview of all of the kinds of projects that can be done. There are workbooks that serve as tutorials, as they progress from simplest projects and graduate skills to more advanced. You should be able to browse library holdings from your nearest library as well as any and all libraries in the wider area. You should be able to borrow from any library (following whatever rules they have) and they should send it over to your nearest library for convenient pickup and return.

Some of the best books like that are authored by people like Spielman and Nelson, and Boelman.

Then there are other books that focus on projects using one of the methods or making one kind of project. Among the popular projects/methods are: fretwork, intarsia, segmentation, box-making, bowl and vase making, marquetry/parquetry, clock making, jigsaw puzzles of all kinds, 3-D or compound cut projects, and more.

When it gets down to the details for a particular project you are starting, feel free to post questions, eg. wood selection, blade selection, getting a pattern onto the wood, sanding, applying finish, backer boards, framing, etc. A lot of answers are project-specific, even though there are also a lot of generalizations that can be made, some in the books and some from the experienced scrollers here.

Lastly, I am hoping you have a scroll saw that accepts plain-end blades, as many of the finer cuttings require that. If you can only use pinned blades, all is not lost, but you might run into limitations and might find some categories of projects or specific projects just aren't conducive to being done on that saw. Still, after you get a LOT of pleasure from whatever it is you decide to do, don't be surprised if you start applying what you know of your saw's limits (even if it takes plain-end blades!) and you might find yourself shopping for a new saw in a year or two. Pretty much all of us do that!!

Enjoy!!

Welcome to the Village.  Look forward to your participation.  Lots of great people here who are happy to help out Newbies like you and me.  I started last year.  Lots to learn here simply by following along and reading all the threads posted now and looking back through others from the past.