🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Random Orbital Sander for Scroll Saw Projects

Sam777

Hi all,

I have been reading a LOT of reviews on these 2 sanders:

Dewalt & Makita. They both have variable speed features which I understand is needed for fret work mainly due to the ability to slow the sanding speed down.

I have never had an orbital sander.

Would you please give me a little advice so I don't buy something I get stuck with?

I figure If I have not needed an orbital sander before, I don't see myself getting any more powerful sanders than these.

Reviews for the Dewalt are great except most of the reviewers didn't like the fact that Dewalt's vac connection is proprietary and a regular vac hose did not fit.

Reviews for the Makita are even better except almost all reviewers complained about the dust bag blowing off by itself and making a mess.

Here are 2 links to the 2 sanders I am considering:

Sorry for the long explanation.

I appreciate your comments if you have any of these.

Thank you all

DEWALT at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE6423K-Variable-Random-Sander/dp/B00ZTPCLZ8

MAKITA at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-BO5031K-5-Inch-Random-Sander/dp/B002FJYE0G/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1485832704&sr=1-1&keywords=BO5031K

Sam

Sam, my random orbital sander touches every project I do. The trick is to sand your blank to finish grit before you apply your pattern and cut. Then when done cutting, I touch up with a folded piece of the same grit I sanded to, usually 220 grit.

I rarely use the ROS on delicate fret work.

I can't speak for either of the models you are looking at as I have not used them. I own two Porter Cable 333's. One is hooked up to my Dust Deputy and Shop Vac. The other I have had as a spare for when my primary dies as they are not made anymore. It's been waiting for at least 10 years!

I have a DeWalt and no regrets I have replaced the hook and loop pad on mine and is was economical. Would not change it for anything. Very dependable and easy to control . Not sure if this is what you are after but this is my opinion and experience. Definitely would recommend this tool.  

Wayne,

Thank you for the comment. I think I will go with the Dewalt.

I appreciate your reply.

Sam

Sam, my random orbital sander touches every project I do. The trick is to sand your blank to finish grit before you apply your pattern and cut. Then when done cutting, I touch up with a folded piece of the same grit I sanded to, usually 220 grit.

I rarely use the ROS on delicate fret work.

I can't speak for either of the models you are looking at as I have not used them. I own two Porter Cable 333's. One is hooked up to my Dust Deputy and Shop Vac. The other I have had as a spare for when my primary dies as they are not made anymore. It's been waiting for at least 10 years!

Thank you Dan,

Do you sand the blanks even the BB plywood before you apply patterns?

Thank you for your reply.

Sam

Without question this is the best sander I ever used and will ever use. It is my do everything sander and I have a lot of sanders. But always go to this one. Easy to buy paper for and change it. I do not worry about dust because I either sand out doors mostly or use a down draft table if doing indoors. All those sander with the holes to me are useless. You still get dust in the air. My 2 cents.

www.rockler.com/porter-cable-speed-bloc-quarter-sheet-finishing-sander-330?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping%20-%20Top%20Sellers&utm_content=pow

Like Dan, I use my ROS on every project I make.  I'm currently using a Ridgid for most of my routine ROS needs.  I like it most, because the shop vac hose connects directly.  I have a Milwaukee that is a good sander, but I have to use an adapter to make the shop vac hose fit, so I tend not to use it as much.

Variable speed is fine, but I don't use it all that much.  I could probably live without it.  I don't use the ROS after I've cut the fretwork.  I sand the blanks first, then just go over the cut project, lightly by hand.

I think a random orbit sander leaves fewer sanding scratches, while being more aggressive.  I think you will get better dust collection with a ROS as well.

For years, all I had was a basic 1/4 sheet palm sander.  I was always frustrated at the swirled scratches it left behind, requiring me to do a lot of hand sanding to get a clean finish.  Several years ago, I was helping my brother build his kitchen cabinets.  We were sanding panels for the cabinet sides and he was using a ROS and I had my palm sander.  I had never used a ROS before and was amazed at how much faster and smoother it was compared to my 1/4 sheet palm sander.  Granted, the sander I had was maybe not the highest quality, but I was convinced I needed to go a different direction.  I immediately went out and bought a Porter-Cable ROS and I almost never use my 1/4 sheet sander anymore.  I wore that sander out and currently have 3 different ones in my shop now.  I suppose a 1/4 sheet palm sander has it's place, but I find very little use for mine anymore.  Sometimes I use it on contours and edges, because it's a little easier to control in those applications, but for flat work, all I use is the ROS.

Here is a great link explaining the different sanders capabilities.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/a3118/know-your-power-sanders-and-how-to-use-them-13314160/

I agree with Bill on the palm sanders. I have a couple of Makitas that have not been used in years.

From my experience RO sanders leave no swirl marks. I wish I would have jumped on the $55 Festool sale that was going on for a while. Right now I have a $5 yard sale Ryoby 4-1/2 inch RO. It is OK but the dust collection sucks. I used to pre sand all of my wood with it until I bought a Sand flee, and that has now been replaced by a Supermax drum sander.

I really like dewalt tools but dust collection and ease of hookup to a vacuum is important to me in my basement shop.

Edited by Rolf

Here is a great link explaining the different sanders capabilities.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/a3118/know-your-power-sanders-and-how-to-use-them-13314160/

I agree with Bill on the palm sanders. I have a couple of Makitas that have not been used in years.

From my experience RO sanders leave no swirl marks. I wish I would have jumped on the $55 Festool sale that was going on for a while. Right now I have a $5 yard sale Ryoby 4-1/2 inch RO. It is OK but the dust collection sucks. I used to pre sand all of my wood with it until I bought a Sand flee, and that has now been replaced by a Supermax drum sander.

I really like dewalt tools but dust collection and ease of hookup to a vacuum is important to me in my basement shop.

Lucky you! I would love to have a drum sander.

I have a Makita palm sander. It doesn't have any type of vac or bag attachment but I don't think it needs it. Mine is close to 30 years old and still works like the day I bought it. It is one speed I believe around 12,000 orbits. It looks like this one. I use it on all of my fretwork.

post-19404-0-93727100-1485881984_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sparkey

Any orbital sander will work Sam. It's a matter of preference and budget in mind. Majority of them are made in China and chances are from the same factory with a different name and casing. I happen to use a Makitta but have used Craftsman as well. No difference other than price. I hook mine up to a shop vac being I find the dust bag useless.