Random Orbital Sander for Scroll Saw Projects

Sam777

i went cheap, and bought a single speed Ryobi. I think it works pretty well. The dust collection bag is almost worthless, but I usually sand on a downdraft table anyways. It's hook and loop, and sand disks are easy to find.

It's an older version of this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-6-Amp-5-in-Random-Orbital-Sander-RS290G/205105594

I think I only paid $30 bucks for it.

Dewalts out of the box do a beautiful job of sanding. But the dust collection port is a pain to deal with if you want to attach a vacuum. As in probably all random orbital sanders, the mechanisms that create that randomness tend to wear out quickly with heavy use such as when I was doing cabinetry. I've both rebuilt and just went out and bought new ones, but kept with the Dewalts because I like the feel in my hands. Haven't had a pad sander in 20 years because the random orbitals are so much faster and leave a smoother service. Variable speed is of no interest to me because I never felt the need as in using drum sanders etc.

I have 3 Sanders..green and yellow brands...but only use them for sanding stock boards and not final projects. Most of the parts are just too small. I use mop or Mac Sanders for my puzzles. For Intarsia I use a pneumatic drum sander.

For a lot of things I just use hand sanding. One of the most important things is not the sanding machine but the sand paper used. I use a lot of the Klingspor cloth backed and go progressively thru the grits. I also like the Norton 3X paper sheets. In addition, sand paper wears out and some try to use it too long.

Hi all,

I have been reading a LOT of reviews on these 2 sanders:

Dewalt & Makita. They both have variable speed features which I understand is needed for fret work mainly due to the ability to slow the sanding speed down.

I have never had an orbital sander.

Would you please give me a little advice so I don't buy something I get stuck with?

I figure If I have not needed an orbital sander before, I don't see myself getting any more powerful sanders than these.

Reviews for the Dewalt are great except most of the reviewers didn't like the fact that Dewalt's vac connection is proprietary and a regular vac hose did not fit.

Reviews for the Makita are even better except almost all reviewers complained about the dust bag blowing off by itself and making a mess.

Here are 2 links to the 2 sanders I am considering:

Sorry for the long explanation.

I appreciate your comments if you have any of these.

Thank you all

DEWALT at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE6423K-Variable-Random-Sander/dp/B00ZTPCLZ8

MAKITA at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-BO5031K-5-Inch-Random-Sander/dp/B002FJYE0G/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1485832704&sr=1-1&keywords=BO5031K

Sam

If it will fit on my belt sander ,thats what i use most.I then use a dewalt orital as second choice.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a harbor freight one and first thing i had go bad was the dust bag.. While I now have a dust collection system I still rely on the sanders dust collection at this time.. I found that the dust bags are easy to get a hole poked into them or just get a hole rubbed into them from the power cord or other things.. while the sander still worked for many years after the dust bag failed.. I bought a new one ( mainly for the dust collection  ) and the new sander was different than the old one.. dust bag different the sander itself was taller and more awkward to handle... and it was a faster running aggressive sander, hated the thing.. so I went shopping with the idea of getting the DeWalt for the variable speed and brand name well reviewed tool.. but once at the store the first thing I noticed was the dust bag.. the bags are sort of a turn off to me because of my experience with the harbor freight model I had.. anyway right in front of my nose on the shelf was a Bosh variable speed with a dust canister ( made of plastic ) with a filter in it.. that snaps apart for emptying out  that fine dust.. and it was on sale.. 

Love how smooth it runs at any of the speeds.. I do sand my fret work before and after It's cut and this thing is so smooth quite and pretty much dust free.. If I were looking for another one.. it would certainly have the dust canister system.. I would buy another just like I have.. but I do see other ( black & decker ) that have the canister.. just wonder if it runs as smooth..

If you don't care about the dust I think most any orbital  sander will work for pre-sanding work.. however.. if you want to sand work after it's been cut.. I would look at a higher end sander for the balanced out smooth running sander.. Just some food for thought..

BTW.. I have a Hitachi 1/4 sheet sander.. it does a okay job.. but if not careful it will leave vibration scuff marks.. never been a fan of 1/4 sheet sanders for that reason...    

I do all my sanding after I get done with the planing. I use a Craftsman ros variable speed. And I use frued sanding discs. I'm happy with that. On the other end, I have 3 palm sanders with 150, 180, & 220 grits on them. I use a palm sander when I'm finished with the project, lightly touching the fretwork to just smooth out the rough spots. Fret work is thin very fragile, so finish sanding takes a light hand. You can destroy a finished project in a matter of seconds if you're not careful. Try & get all your sanding done before your project touches the wood. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the end. jmo.

Sam, I own numerous types of sanders, and I own both models that you mentioned in your post. I've owned both of them for years, and I couldn't pick one over the other for a favorite. Both of them are top of the line sanders, and one works as good as the other. Actually, I own three orbital sanders, along with the two I already mentioned I own a Porter Cable OS also. It is cheapest of the three, and it works as well as the other two. But, it isn't as nice to use as the other two, it just doesn't feel as good in my hand. If your looking for a sander to sand fret work with, you should be looking for a good quality detail sander. The type that has a triangular shaped sanding pad, it's the type I mostly use on fretwork. It does an amazing job, no matter how fragile the piece is. The detail sanders don't cost a lot of money, and they are great for getting into tight corners. It would be worth your time to look into the detail sander, they are the most gentle type of electric sander there is.

Len 

Sam, I own numerous types of sanders, and I own both models that you mentioned in your post. I've owned both of them for years, and I couldn't pick one over the other for a favorite. Both of them are top of the line sanders, and one works as good as the other. Actually, I own three orbital sanders, along with the two I already mentioned I own a Porter Cable OS also. It is cheapest of the three, and it works as well as the other two. But, it isn't as nice to use as the other two, it just doesn't feel as good in my hand. If your looking for a sander to sand fret work with, you should be looking for a good quality detail sander. The type that has a triangular shaped sanding pad, it's the type I mostly use on fretwork. It does an amazing job, no matter how fragile the piece is. The detail sanders don't cost a lot of money, and they are great for getting into tight corners. It would be worth your time to look into the detail sander, they are the most gentle type of electric sander there is.

Len 

Len,

Now you tell me about the "detail sander" :)

I just bought the dewalt variable speed orbital sander. I haven't used it yet. Should I take it back and get the detail sander you are talking about?

Thanks

Sam

I use the Dewalt OBS to get my wood ready for scrolling. Mine has a dust bag on it but find it full quite often. If I use it alot at one time my hand tends to go numb but that's probably just me. Once I get the Fretwork done I use a palm sander on the back to help get off some of the fuzzies. 

Len,

I just bought the dewalt variable speed orbital sander. I haven't used it yet. Should I take it back and get the detail sander you are talking about?

Thanks

Sam

I think you will use the orbital a lot.  I sand all my wood, even the Baltic Birch before I scroll.  I think if you are making things the have corners to get into the detail would be useful also.  I have found the best thing for me for removing the fuzzies after cutting is a little fine wire brush the I use in my Dremel tool. 

Len,

Thanks

Sam

No Sam, you should keep it now, that you bought it, it will be a useful tool. If I were you, I'd just go out and buy the detail they don't cost very much. You should be able to get a descent one for around thirty bucks or so, and you won't be sorry that you spent the money on it.

Len

No Sam, you should keep it now, that you bought it, it will be a useful tool. If I were you, I'd just go out and buy the detail they don't cost very much. You should be able to get a descent one for around thirty bucks or so, and you won't be sorry that you spent the money on it.

Len

Thank you Len,

appreciate the advice.

Sam

My random orbit sanders get the lion's share of the power sanding duties in my shop.  I have 3 of them.  IMHO, they are essential to every woodshop.  But sanders have become so specialized that there is a sander designed for just about every specific application.  Along with my 3 ROS, I also have at least 5 or 6 other power sanders that get varying amounts of use.  I consider sanding to be a necessary evil and try to minimize its impact on my hobby activities by having the tools to make the job easier.  Tool manufacturers are pretty good at coming up with new gadgets and convincing us we have to have them.  :lol: