Greetings from EU

olEddie

Hello!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the provided info on the website. I'm not much of a talker, so I'll just share my first experience on a scroll saw.

post-31146-0-74855200-1486728811_thumb.jpg

It's quite messy when it comes to details, but I get bored doing simple lines, so I figured I download an interesting project and my grandma said she liked the cross when I was viewing it in the gallery ... long story short, granny is quite happy and given her eye sight is not the best, I think I got away with all the creepy lines.

Anyways, I'll keep practicing and good luck to every one!

Oh, I do have one question though, how do you guys glue two elements together when doing similar work because the glue sticks out and I had already every thing stained etc... just curious if there are any tricks I should be aware of?

Cheers!

Hi Eddie:

Welcome to the Village from snowy, cold Minnesota.  

Your glueing question depends on the material used.  If gluing natural wood to plywood, I like to use some mechanical fasteners to compensate for expansion of the natural wood vs plywood.  In that case, I mask the borders of the ply and apply just enough Titebond to make the bond without squeeze-out.  I then use 2 mechanical fasteners on either end of the natural wood located in the middle of the piece as "insurance: against glue-joint failure.

In the case of your cross, even if your backer board is plywood, the fretwork will permit movement of your cross.  I would do the gluing before finishing in that particular piece.  

Hello gentlemen!

Thank you for the great advice. It actually makes a lot of sense and originally I was thinking to glue them first, but didn't. My only concern though is how do I stain the back layer (which is darker) after gluing without messing up the lighter upper layer? Some holes are really small and that would involve jeweler precision to stain or do you sand your upper layer after staining the bottom?

For this peace, what I did I stained the upper and lower layers first and then proceeded with gluing once dry. I had a feeling it may not hold, but I was willing to take that risk so I don't mess up with staining. I just didn't think I could do a decent job once glued together. They are holding together firmly, at least for now :) And yes, the upper layer is stained, here's a picture that shows the original color of ply (beneath the crosses) and the actual crosses right after staining them.

post-31146-0-72607700-1486813400_thumb.jpg

BTW, in my case those are two 3mm (3/32 inch) plywood sheets. I figured I mess with it before I get my hands on any type of wood.

Hello gentlemen!

Thank you for the great advice. It actually makes a lot of sense and originally I was thinking to glue them first, but didn't. My only concern though is how do I stain the back layer (which is darker) after gluing without messing up the lighter upper layer? Some holes are really small and that would involve jeweler precision to stain or do you sand your upper layer after staining the bottom?

For this peace, what I did I stained the upper and lower layers first and then proceeded with gluing once dry. I had a feeling it may not hold, but I was willing to take that risk so I don't mess up with staining. I just didn't think I could do a decent job once glued together. They are holding together firmly, at least for now :) And yes, the upper layer is stained, here's a picture that shows the original color of ply (beneath the crosses) and the actual crosses right after staining them.

attachicon.gif20170208_155940.jpg

BTW, in my case those are two 3mm (3/32 inch) plywood sheets. I figured I mess with it before I get my hands on any type of wood.

I recently completed a piece in cherry where I wanted the backer board to be flat black behind the lettering.  I cut the luan plywood to size, masked off a 1/2" wide area around the edge and then sprayed the middle section with flat black enamel.  I then glued the cherry and clamped it flat using only the peripheral area.  When this was thoroughly dry, I unclamped and finished the cherry.  I added 2 wood screws on the back at the left and right centered between the top and bottom as insurance.

I recently completed a piece in cherry where I wanted the backer board to be flat black behind the lettering.  I cut the luan plywood to size, masked off a 1/2" wide area around the edge and then sprayed the middle section with flat black enamel.  I then glued the cherry and clamped it flat using only the peripheral area.  When this was thoroughly dry, I unclamped and finished the cherry.  I added 2 wood screws on the back at the left and right centered between the top and bottom as insurance.

Thanks for great advice. I didn't think of such an approach so I'll definitely keep that in mind next time! In general as I understand it's over all not a good practice to glue to already stained wood/plywood so well noted.

Thanks for the great welcome and I'll get to planning my next project.

Hello!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the provided info on the website. I'm not much of a talker, so I'll just share my first experience on a scroll saw.

attachicon.gif20170208_160038.jpg

It's quite messy when it comes to details, but I get bored doing simple lines, so I figured I download an interesting project and my grandma said she liked the cross when I was viewing it in the gallery ... long story short, granny is quite happy and given her eye sight is not the best, I think I got away with all the creepy lines.

Oh, I do have one question though, how do you guys glue two elements together when doing similar work because the glue sticks out and I had already every thing stained etc... just curious if there are any tricks I should be aware of?

Cheers!

Whoa! I answered this one yesterday but it disappeared,hum.This one is done to perfection.Better clean your glasses as i just got new one and this project is flawless.I have that problem too with excess glue .i use a very pointed spout on my glue bottle and try to get it everywhere and  in thin lines that i apply and clamp  before it drys.

Hello!

attachicon.gif20170208_160038.jpg

Cheers!

Just a though on pre stained projects that are dry .You may want to try airplane glue for plastic models .I think that will adhere both pieces

Looks like experts with more knowledge then me have provided you some good answers on your questions.  As a relative newbie myself, I will leave you to their sage wisdom.  However, I did want to say hello and welcome to the forum.  While I might agree that most Grandmother's and Grannies will love most anything we do and give to them, I think it looks like you did great work for your first go at it.  Keep at it and you too will be giving great advice here at some time.

Very good work Edgar where in this vast EU are you.? Roly

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm actually in a small country called Latvia, so that would be Eastern Europe if some one's looking on the map. We're bordering with Russia, Estonia and Lithuania.

As for the cross, it was very intense work so probably I should have practiced on some easier lines first and maybe I could have avoided some nasty cuts. I just now realized scrolling is fun no matter what lines you cut :) live and learn....

Whoa! I answered this one yesterday but it disappeared,hum.This one is done to perfection.Better clean your glasses as i just got new one and this project is flawless.I have that problem too with excess glue .i use a very pointed spout on my glue bottle and try to get it everywhere and  in thin lines that i apply and clamp  before it drys.

Thanks Kevin! Dedicating work to some one adds some extra responsibility but I do see (looking at it now) it's far from perfect, which is fine and was expected. Can't wait to reach your heights though, I see lots of stunning work on this forum. I wish I could dedicate more than 1-2 hours a day on this.

Edited by olEddie