GEARED THINGS - PROGRESS REPORTS,,,hopefully

Scrappile

Reading Gonzo's thread on the gear clock he made, and his desire to do a real gear clock, I did some internet searching for gear clock plans.  It is something I have wanted to try since two days before I was born.  I have got to get started, time is getting short.  Anyway, I want, again to one of my favorite sites to look at plans, and the gentleman has posted something new since the last time I visited.  I think it looks like so much fun I thought I'd post the internet address here in case someone else is interested in geared things.  Would this not be great fun to build???!

http://lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/robotlaboratory.htm

Edited by Scrappile

Reading Gonzo's thread on the gear clock he made, and his desire to do a real gear clock, I did some internet searching for gear clock plans.  It is something I have wanted to try since two days before I was born.  I have got to get started, time is getting short.  Anyway, I want, again to one of my favorite sites to look at plans, and the gentleman has posted something new since the last time I visited.  I think it looks like so much fun I thought I'd post the internet address here in case someone else is interested in geared things.  Would this not be great fun to build???!

http://lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/robotlaboratory.htm

Paul that does look like fun but I don't know if I am good enough to cut it.

In response to Scrappiles question, "would this not be great fun to build???!" Two words come to mind, "hell yeah". (Hopefully I can say that without getting booted) Hmmm, now I'm in a quandary, a clock from ricks clock on scrollsaws.com or the robots on lisaboyer.com?

Has the gauntlet been laid Scrappile? (Big, big smile)

In response to Scrappiles question, "would this not be great fun to build???!" Two words come to mind, "hell yeah". (Hopefully I can say that without getting booted) Hmmm, now I'm in a quandary, a clock from ricks clock on scrollsaws.com or the robots on lisaboyer.com?

Has the gauntlet been laid Scrappile? (Big, big smile)

I ordered the robot plans today.  They are supposedly easier than the clocks but I figured if I succeed in building the robot and really enjoy the build, then I could move on to a clock..  I can build the robots out of all the scraps of BB I have around here.

I ordered the robot plans today.  They are supposedly easier than the clocks but I figured if I succeed in building the robot and really enjoy the build, then I could move on to a clock..  I can build the robots out of all the scraps of BB I have around here.

No doubt in my mind you can build a better mouse trap.What ever you undertake it's going to be awesome,Go for it!

I am with you Gonzo, these are a must build for me. I think they would be great introduction for building something with wooden gears. It should be easier than a clock. Thanks for the plug Denny. 

Clayton Boyer is an amazing designer and there are a few of his Kinetic sculptures on my to do list.

Hawkey, you won't know until you try!  That is where my approach to life comes in " I don't know that I can't, therefore I can" or in my case it should have been "I am too stupid to know that I can't , therefore I can"  I should have had that on my resume. 

Edited by Rolf

the gears aren't to tough to cut. I cut 15 gears Of all sizes from mdf a few years ago when I built a toy box for my grandson. It was just a bunch of gears put together, & a crank handle to make them all turn together. As it turned out, his mother decided he didn't need that, so I still have the gears. someplace.

Another great clock designer is Brian Law in the UK http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/

He designed two of the clocks that I have made for SSWWC magazine.He has a lot of tips on getting things running.

It was a real privileged to work with him.

Muzz I bought the full version of that just for fun and it helped me with the Chariot design. 

I received my patterns for the Robots today, ordered them on the 13th.  That's good service.   Not sure when I will start, but soon.  Any one interested here are some pictures of what you receive.  About 4 pages of general instruction, and each robot has 4 or 5 pages of patterns and assembly pictures.  Patterns are full size.  I have not read the instructions yet so I don't know if there is info on the motor required, but I think they are easy to find and inexpensive.  I'm anxious to read more and get started

post-22608-0-00893700-1487446953_thumb.jpg

post-22608-0-50903400-1487447008_thumb.jpg

post-22608-0-53727100-1487447051_thumb.jpg

Paul,  With your cutting skills, you will, and probably have already discovered, that cutting gears is not nearly as difficult as one might think. You could take on a gear clock and make it successfully., with no problem at all. I am sure of that. Have fun with your little gear gadget. I am sure you will quickly understand that making a wooden gear clock is something you can, not only do successfully but will also enjoy. I bet the next time I come to your house I will hear several gear clocks ticking away in your home. I bought plans for a gear clock, shortly after I started scrolling and have a couple all cut out but have never finished them. I probably should dig them out and get with it

Dick

heppnerguy