Dust collector

Around the corner

There are a few reviews of it on Youtube also.  Looks pretty good.  Does not fit any saw I own, but if I still had my DeWalt I would give it serious thought.  What concerns me though, is vacs like Shopvac are not really made for continuous operation.  Least that is what I keep reading.  I wonder how long one would last if a person scrolls a lot.  If you had to replace on of those every year, even, it would sure make it expensive quick.  I may be wrong on this.

I watched a video and am a little concerned at trying to feed a blade through a tube at the bottom all the time, seems like a real inconvenience maybe some have used it and will give their input and your right scrappile shop vacs arent supposed to run at 80-90 percent running time, could be a problem there.

Scrollsawing is suppose to be relaxing and how anyone could have a shop vac running for hours on end is a little mind boggling to me. A good dust mask and clean up after each session is all I do. Motors on shop vacs are not continuous run motors so they will wear faster. But i suppose it is something that maybe necessary for some and it looks like it can work from the video I saw. Good luck if you are getting one to try. 

I picked up a book called scrollsaw woodworking and crafts to see the scrollnado in the book. The book describes what it might do for dust collection but fails to give any proof or reviews from anybody who have used it.I am no farther ahead right now trying to decide if this product stands up and does the job as 50 plus shipping plus exchange is not a cup of coffee.No money can be placed for losing your lungs but I like a sure thing too. Maybe some of you can agree with me.I was trying to find the company address to email the company to see if even the president of this village could try it free to advertize for this club but no address just amazon to buy. Who would you talk to if pieces were broke. Makes me skeptical. Damian

I'll have to correct my reply on the book, there is one review on this product, the editor of the book but that's all. If it was from one in this village commenting I might be more convinced.

For your reading pleasure. Scrollers just like here.

www.amazon.com/SCROLLNADO-collection-scroll-Dewalt-40-690/product-reviews/B01KCNI77C

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/scroll-saw/general-scroll-saw/845635-scrollnado

www.stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=19741.0

scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2016/09/dust-extraction-system-for-dewalt-and.html

From what I see, you mount the lower part to the lower blade guard. The second thing I recommend to folks is to remove the lower blade guard for better access to the blade clamp, the first is toss the hold down foot.

I think the whole thing will just get in the way of feeding the blade. Just my 1/2 cent.

I agree about the noise of a shop vac. I have my dust collector hooked up to my saw. The dust collector is a lot quieter than a shop vac, but it is still loud. When I am cutting, I usually have head phones on listening to either music or a football game or a NASCAR race or maybe even a Hocky game.

I had bought one at a wood show back in the fall and I could never get mine to work as well as the demonstration one. Tried moving the tubes this way and that but never any luck. Yes it was bothersome listening to the vacuum, just something else to keep shutting off. The tubes in the kit felt no thicker than a glorified drinking straw. My vote is save your money. Take care and good luck.

Tony

I had bought one at a wood show back in the fall and I could never get mine to work as well as the demonstration one. Tried moving the tubes this way and that but never any luck. Yes it was bothersome listening to the vacuum, just something else to keep shutting off. The tubes in the kit felt no thicker than a glorified drinking straw. My vote is save your money. Take care and good luck.

Tony

On Steve Good's video he said he wasn't getting all the dust like the demonstration he seen but went back home and set it up the way the man showed him an it worked perfect.  No dust on the table or under.  Maybe you just need to keep moving things around.  my 2 cents worth.  Like to see one on a EX.

• 1 month later...

I saw the video all about the Scrollnado and it sure looks like the answer for dust collection on the DW788. I am having a tough time trying to justify the price they are asking for it. Am I wrong here? It just seems like a lot of money for some plastic tubing and a plastic tee. What the general consensus on this thing?

Ray