What is wrong with the engineers?

Rolf

A bit of a rant.

I just got an e-mail from Amazon with a whole list of different scrollsaws. There isn't a single (entry level) saw under $200 that has easy bottom clamp access. I don't get it.

Evidently none of them have ever used scroll saw. Delta built saws for  under $200 with a stand and some of the best and fastest clamps ever put on a saw over 15 years ago,

You don't get into reasonable bottom clamp access until you get into the $300 dollar range.

This drives me nuts (not far to go) 

I wonder how many people gave up on the hobby due to frustration with some of these saws. 

I know there are lots of folks that do great cutting with some of these saws, and yes they do cut.

And I know it is not the tools that make the craftsman, but for me I want to scroll and cut wood when I have time and not spend it fiddling with blade clamps etc.

My message to the Saw designers "KISS"

End of rant

I can't afford much so used is fine.i have 6 back up Dewalts which all need re-greasing from my work load of giving names to every one i meet for free.I chose to work with in my means .I'm very happy with Dewalts.i went thru dozens of low end saws and could not believe the Dewalt when i tryed one.

The last thing I want to do when I do a presentation is spend my limited time fiddling with a saw.

At our club we have a Hegner for presentations and I have taken my Old Delta SS-350 on the road a couple of times.

Strangely I don't think we have any Dewalt saws in our club, When I joined in 2004 most were Hegners with one Hawk and the rest an assortment of Craftsman and Delta.

We now have a couple of Excaliburs, 

We are getting away from the point of my Rant. I just wish that when the saws are being designed they take just a bit more time to make them user friendly.

The main thing is that we keep creating the beautiful work presented on this forum with whatever saw is being used.

We are getting away from the point of my Rant. I just wish that when the saws are being designed they take just a bit more time to make them user friendly

I totally agree Rolf.   An entry level saw should not be expected to perform or last anywhere near as long as a mid or high end saw at a third,forth, or fifth of the price.   They could go ahead and use cheaper components, but provide good access to the lower blade clamp, dampen vibration so it doesn't walk across the floor etc.   Make the saw at least somewhat user friendly   I think your point is well taken, ( at least by me), that it should be possible to produce a scroll saw for around $200-$250 that doesn't totally piss off and turn off a beginner. JMHO.

Edited by stoney

Spirithorse , interesting thought, If the blade could be turned 90 deg. We could cut very log pieces within a certain range without having to resort to spirals.

There was a saw video a while back that showed a saw where you could turn the blade in any direction with one hand while cutting. Seemed very awkward to use.

And yes discussion is good.

Edited by Rolf

OK I am going to ask again then why. If you turned the blade sideways you still can not turn the piece. Unless I am missing something in your quest. If you want to cut long strips buy a bandsaw.  

OK we found one for you. It is the Dremel 18"  1800-01 you can rotate the clamps for infinite cutting lengths. Just what you asked for. 

www.buybesttools.com/tools4/B0002HC23Y.html

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN