🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Scrolling Records

Scrappile

I was looking at Steve Good's forum this AM and there was a post on scrolling 78 records.  I have really liked some I have seen and thought to give it a try one day.  The gentleman that posted had made a video on YouTube on how he does it.  It is a great video.  It is here if anyone is interested. 

I was a little surprised when he told the blade he found best to use.  A #5 reverse.  I would have though a #1 or #2 for something that thin. 

that's cool!! ya know, reading the title, I thought I was gonna read someone set a record for scrolling for 24 straight hours or sumthin. :)

I set the record for sleeping the most at the scroll saw ,with a project in the saw and my foot on the foot pedal ,So far when my foot finally gets heavy and presses the switch i've never ruined a project when the machine turns on and wakes me up!!!

I was looking at Steve Good's forum this AM and there was a post on scrolling 78 records.  I have really liked some I have seen and thought to give it a try one day.  The gentleman that posted had made a video on YouTube on how he does it.  It is a great video.  It is here if anyone is interested. 

I was a little surprised when he told the blade he found best to use.  A #5 reverse.  I would have though a #1 or #2 for something that thin. 

I agree,i record once but didn't like  doing them.

some early 78's are brittle as can be and some titles are worth a bundle to record collectors.  I had some early ones from the 1920's and early 1930's that were about 3/32 inch thick.  Later ones were still brittle to an extent and were about 1/16 in thick.  I bought a box of them at a yard sale and got over $100.00 for just two of them. (One was Bing's first recording of White Christmas, Apparently the original press die was accidentally destroyed and he had to re-record it, making the first one so valuable to collectors.)    Now LP's were a dime a dozen and unless in mint condition with the slip cover and card cover aren't worth much.   (then again, I came across an LP of Robert Frost reading his own poems.  That brought $200.00 with no dust jacket or cover)

It is strange what finds value in this world.    

Ha, you won't see any cut here, least not for a long time.  My plate it full, and Spring is coming which means more time outside, less time in the shop.  We have lots of old records, but I can not imagine Patti letting me cut any, better to have them just sit in boxes in storage. :x

I would think 45'a and LP's would cut the same.