New to the Group - The Scroll Troll

David Lehner

Hello

I have been scrolling for about 15 years.... I started after a RIF (reduction in force) I was a Gen Mgr at a Chrysler/ Toyota Dealership. I found my self with a lot of time on my hands so started carving spirit faces in cottonwood bark and basswood blocks... I bought a scroll saw to make bulk cuts in the basswood to facilitate carving.

Found some simple wildlife patterns and the rest is history

I live in a 15 room, 108 year old house in Minot ND. I had my scroll shop in the basement. In 2011 we had a devastating flood and we were out of our house for about 8 months waiting for water to go down (about 6 weeks) and the rest of the time rebuilding house and garage. I have  3 stall garage and then added a second story and took one stall for my shop. heated and insulated.

For may years I did craft shows and actually did quite well. After the flood I decided that I wanted to create things that were a challenge .... not worry about if it would sell or not.

I moved on to large clocks as you can see by my FB page - The Scroll Troll and my website - www.thescrolltroll.com

I am always looking for new and interesting patterns ... I look forward to participating in the group. The two clocks are from Wilckins Woodworking. The Alphabet Clock (Hannah Clock) I made for her wedding present

post-31333-0-20415700-1487707522_thumb.jpgpost-31333-0-61020400-1487707535_thumb.jpgpost-31333-0-66301100-1487707547_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Scroll Troll

Hello

I have been scrolling for about 15 years.... I started after a RIF (reduction in force) I was a Gen Mgr at a Chrysler/ Toyota Dealership. I found my self with a lot of time on my hands so started carving spirit faces in cottonwood bark and basswood blocks... I bought a scroll saw to make bulk cuts in the basswood to facilitate carving.

Found some simple wildlife patterns and the rest is history

I live in a 15 room, 108 year old house in Minot ND. I had my scroll shop in the basement. In 2011 we had a devastating flood and we were out of our house for about 8 months waiting for water to go down (about 6 weeks) and the rest of the time rebuilding house and garage. I have  3 stall garage and then added a second story and took one stall for my shop. heated and insulated.

For may years I did craft shows and actually did quite well. After the flood I decided that I wanted to create things that were a challenge .... not worry about if it would sell or not.

I moved on to large clocks as you can see by my FB page - The Scroll Troll and my website - www.thescrolltroll.com

I am always looking for new and interesting patterns ... I look forward to participating in the group. The two clocks are from Wilckins Woodworking. The Alphabet Clock (Hannah Clock) I made for her wedding present

attachicon.gifTowers of Whisler complete.jpgattachicon.gifHannah Clock with hands 2.jpgattachicon.gifCougar.jpg

Welcome friend,that second clock of your has the best cut numbers on it I've ever seen .I favor the clock too.sorry about the water ,guess it filled your shop all the way up.your choice of subjects to cut is tops.You've made a name here already .Keep coming back!

Thanks for the welcoming comments... I will continue to post items.... I always have at least 1/2 dozen projects I am working on and then a new, unique patterns is discovered and side tracks me. I have been working on the Tower of Time Clock from Wilckens Woodworking for over a year. I am building it from the top down. All the pieces for the top floor are cut and sanded, ready for finishing. The pieces for the second floor (from the top) are just about all cut out...

I will keep you posted on the progress

Hi Dave and welcome to the Village.  You have some beautiful pieces that you have shared there.  Look forward to your participation and seeing more of your work.  I am just a newbie to the saw myself, got it to do Intarsia work with - then I found this forum and have done some other basic simple pieces outside Intarsia.  I have learned a lot from the guys and gals here and look forward to your wisdom and pictures as well.

The Scroll Troll - (a brief history)

I am getting ready to leave the radio station and head home to make some more sawdust....

I am in a reflective mood..... a bit of history on how I started scrolling..... if you get bored just quit reading...

After 20 years as a Kmart Mgr I went into the car business. I worked my way up to General Mgr of a Dodge-Chrysler-Toyota dealership. After almost 14 year I was RIFed (reduction in force). my position was eliminated... so I ended up with time on my hands before I went into the radio business I decided I wanted to become a wood carver..... spirit faces in cottonwood bark and basswood blocks. I bought an inexpensive Black & Decker scroll saw to make bulk cuts in the basswood blocks.... I found a beginners book of wildlife patterns for the scroll say and started sawing out of curiosity. One thing led to another and the carving was put on the back burner. 

As time went on I improved my sawing techniques. I bought a Dewalt Type 1.... world of difference (I have 3 now). then I bought an EX 21 and last year an EX 30..... 

The rest is history as you can see by my projects, website and FB page...  

My Truck and Van Have my motto .... "You Should See What I Saw" and logo ... borrowed the phrase from someone...

And I still do some carving when I go to our cabin in Minnesota.... easier to haul my knives aan some cottonwood bark than a scroll saw.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it .....

post-31333-0-52639000-1487882750_thumb.jpg

post-31333-0-65399400-1487882757_thumb.jpg

post-31333-0-67589600-1487882770_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Scroll Troll

Welcome from Eastern Oregon. I am glad you found us and decided be a part of our family. You are very welcome. I too have made a few fret clocks and people really like them. I know how attractive they are to almost everyone. My wife already has too many clocks so now they end up being wedding  and Christmas gifts. I loved looking at your posts and plan to venture on over to your FB page and check it out. Be sure and check in often and soon you will feel you have known the regulars all your life..

Dick

heppnerguy