Pegas blades

Bfreeman

Had to try the Pegas blades got some this afternoon tried the modified geometry blades l was very happy with them they are sharp and for some reason they seem quiet compared to my FD blades . Will continue to try them on different kinds of wood will let you all know what I find .

Thanks Bill

Had to try the Pegas blades got some this afternoon tried the modified geometry blades l was very happy with them they are sharp and for some reason they seem quiet compared to my FD blades . Will continue to try them on different kinds of wood will let you all know what I find .

Thanks Bill

Will eagerly await your find

Based on some good reviews on the forum, I ordered a dozen each of the 2/0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 12 modified geometry blades. I will probably end up using mostly the #3s and the #5s but I wanted a bunch of sizes to experiment with. They were back ordered on the #5 for a bit but are now on their way. Can't wait to try them out.

I tried them a year of so ago and they seemed overly aggressive but I will have to try them again.

IKE

They are a little more aggressive than the FD-UR blades.. I sometimes will use a #3 pegas in place of what I would normally use a #5 in the FD blades.... I started using the Pegas last fall... that said I still use FD blades too.. just depends on the situation and how fast / slow I feel like cutting sometimes too,,

That said the Pegas seen to last a long time.. run quieter.. and still give a nice clean cut..

I won't lie, I use blades from most all the major brands.. like I said.. just depends on the situation.. and wow... if you all seen my selection of blades in the shop.. you'd probably think you was in a woodcraft store, Hahaha.. definitely several hundred dollars worth of blades..

So far I have only tried the #5 Pegas modified geometry blades for thicker hardwoods and they work really well.   They are more aggressive then FD-UR or FD-SR blades but not overly so for thicker, 3/4"-- 2" hardwoods.   They seem to stay sharper and last longer. 

Edited by stoney

So far I have tried red oak ,white oak ,hard maple,walnut,birch red cedar and pine I'm very impressed with them they cut as good if not better than the F D s that I normally use . I'm sure it has as much to do with my cutting style as anything. The major difference to me is how quiet the blades are I've been able to turn my radio volume down and that makes the wife happy .

Another big difference is the Pegas blades don't have the drift other blades do. After all these years of feeding the line at an angle it takes some time getting use to not having to do that. Be really nice for a new scroller.

No (or little) drift sounds wonderful to a beginner like me. It's almost too bad I have about 300 blades total that I need to run through first.

I've been using them for a while and love them. Usually doing birch plywood and aromatic cedar. They are aggressive and stack cutting seems to be the best, since if I try to do only 1 layer it cuts too fast! They are at the local woodcraft store on the way home from work so I don't have to go out of my way to get them either. 

Thanks Bill

I have notice some of my FD blades are noisy, good to hear I have a choice.

Pegas blades arrived yesterday.... missing the size 7 but not a big deal....

As I said on another post ... Blizzard is over (only in North Dakota does an Amtrak train get stuck in the snow for 13 hours).. But this weekend could bring another 3 - 9 inches over three days ...

So I plan on spending time in the shop with new blades in between moving some snow.

Hopefully more time making sawdust and less time making snowfog

ok ... I made it to my shop yesterday and spent a couple hours using my new Pegas blades..... i will have to admit that upon using them for the first time I will admit they seem to be a great cutting blade..

this afternoon I plan on spending more time using them.. and again tomorrow (unless we get our 5 to 8 inches of snow) then I will spend quality time with one of my other favorite machines ... My John Deere Snowblower 

Quickly scribbles notes about Pegasus blades.  I'll get some ordered as well. I had seen then in ads, but with limited $$, didn't want to take a chance.  Been here less than a week and you folks answering questions I didn't even ASK!!!!   Amazing and just a little bit spooky.  OOOOooooOOooo (Hears Twilight theme playing)

well... we only received about 4-5 inches of snow so only an hour of quality time with my snow blower... had a few challenges with the transmission at one point. It is going to the dealer for a "spa" day when winter decides to end.

have been using the Pegas blades for a couple days. the do seem to cut a bit more aggressive than some blades I have used even the FD 2-way cut.  I am like others ... I have just about every type of blade you could imagine and it comes down to using the following

for very fine detail cutting I go back to an Olson 2/0 or $ 2 blade (up to 1/2 in thickness - stacked cutting) 

for regular cutting I use a FD 2 way cut #3 or #5  ( this may get replaced by the Pegas #3 or #5 MGS )

for rough cutting I use a #7 or #9 or larger in what ever I grab... does not seem to matter 

My blade display looks like tiered test tube racks from a chemistry lab but filled with scroll saw blades'

well... we only received about 4-5 inches of snow so only an hour of quality time with my snow blower... had a few challenges with the transmission at one point. It is going to the dealer for a "spa" day when winter decides to end.

have been using the Pegas blades for a couple days. the do seem to cut a bit more aggressive than some blades I have used even the FD 2-way cut.  I am like others ... I have just about every type of blade you could imagine and it comes down to using the following

for very fine detail cutting I go back to an Olson 2/0 or $ 2 blade (up to 1/2 in thickness - stacked cutting) 

for regular cutting I use a FD 2 way cut #3 or #5  ( this may get replaced by the Pegas #3 or #5 MGS )

for rough cutting I use a #7 or #9 or larger in what ever I grab... does not seem to matter 

My blade display looks like tiered test tube racks from a chemistry lab but filled with scroll saw blades'

OOPs...only meant to quote the last sentence about test tube racks...

A picture would be fun to see...a peek into the lair of the reclusive scroll sawers, see only on occasion when out buying wood, blades, finishes, stain and did I mention more blades. :D  :lol:

Just a thought.

Edited by AK Moose Nugget