🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

WHAT DO YOU THINK

tuner

One option this group gave me (.I never thought of it) was Craigslist heard of it but never went there, well I tried being

computer handicapped did not help I found a 18" excalibur (he says good condition) for $ 250 it's about 30 miles from here . So what are your thoughts,

have him show you the ropes of using the saw,With the blade in turn it wide open and see what happens with out wood being cut,If it doesn't knock you probable got a bargain.

This saw probably goes back 17 years. I have the 30" that I purchased in 2000 and runs like new today. Very well built and I'm sure it'll out live me. A real precision made machine. Difinitely worth checking out and giving it a test run. After checking it out thoroughly and you find no major issues and it looks like it hasn't been beaten up I would offer him no more than $200.00 because of it's age starting with an offer of $150.00. if I recall correctly this saw new sold for around $900.00. I'm always on the lookout for another the same. Interesting how you make out.

Like to add that there are a lot of these saws still in use today and you could easily more than double the asking price just parting out. The motor itself is one of the best motors available and very expensive to replace (made in U.S.A.). Replacing the table with a new one was approximately $400.00 two years ago. The stand is worth at least $75.00 and it goes on.

Edited by Ron Johnson

I think Ron is giving good advice.  It's old but could still be a good saw.  Is that the original motor that can with those saws? Where those variable speed?  If not that would be a downer.  I'd like to add that to set with my modern era Excalibur if it is in good shape.

Edited by Scrappile

Thank you all ....your advice and thoughts have made me think . If I was in better condition then I would go for it but I'm not. I doubt if I could even change parts even if they were available.

With my limited mobility even going to see it is a hassle, and it works to day does not mean it will work tomorrow. I am going with the Delta... I just want to do light work , using a credit card I can pay it off without much extra charge, if it does not work or I don't like it I can return ..and again by advice gotten here I most likely would not me happy with any thing cheaper. I don't expect it to run like my old RBI but hopefully it will do.

This forum has a great bunch of people on it !!!

UPDATE.... Well I hope to order my saw this week end But between doctor, dentist, and optometrist it's going to be close.

I spoke with the guy who has the excalibur. Offered 150. He said he could live with that.... good or bad it's more then I can do or care to get involved with.

So it will be the Delta, I may be wrong but with all my reading I feel the extra $80 that DeWalt would cost me is better spent on wood/ glue/ patterns/ blades ECT.

This is just a light duty hobby now, if the saw will handel fret work 75% as well as my old RBI (without having to fight it ) that should do.