Homemade Dust Collection with Box Fan - Just Saying...

stevan

If you buy a box fan to duct tape a filter to for homemade dust control, you may want to be sure to buy one with the controls on the top or on the side of the fan.

Not on the back...

Where they will be covered by the filter...

And you have to cut a hole in the filter to access said controls....

Just saying.....

I am in the planning stages for a shop and trying to figure out just what I may need.  for some things, I just roll the equipment out side and let the breeze take the dust away.  I know that will not work on bad weather days.  I have no experience with actual dust collectors, just shop vacs.  Are the dust collectors that much better?  

I am in the planning stages for a shop and trying to figure out just what I may need.  for some things, I just roll the equipment out side and let the breeze take the dust away.  I know that will not work on bad weather days.  I have no experience with actual dust collectors, just shop vacs.  Are the dust collectors that much better?

I'm not sure if a full blown $250 dust collector is any better than my $20 box fan and $10 furnace filter. But for now, I want to be careful and this is cheap lung insurance. I also use my shop vac.

I am going to wake some old timers memories with this one. It is still made and is still a good option for those that want that portable dust collector. This was used by so many years ago when it first came out. 

https://images.samsclubresources.com/is/image/samsclub/0002628210300_A?wid=1500&hei=1500&qlt=80&op_sharpen=1

I am going to wake some old timers memories with this one. It is still made and is still a good option for those that want that portable dust collector. This was used by so many years ago when it first came out. 

https://images.samsclubresources.com/is/image/samsclub/0002628210300_A?wid=1500&hei=1500&qlt=80&op_sharpen=1

John I think Steve Good uses this. 

If you buy a box fan to duct tape a filter to for homemade dust control, you may want to be sure to buy one with the controls on the top or on the side of the fan.

Not on the back...

Just saying.....

haven't tried this method before but. it seems to me that one would put the filter in the front of the fan to keep the dust also out of his unit... Am I missing something here? Could very well be, just a thought

Dick

heppnerguy

The back of the fan sucks air, then blows air out the front.  You put the filter on the back, it sucks the dust into the filter and blows out filtered air,, hopefully.  It works pretty good, at least I have to clean or replace my filter fairly often.  Doesn't catch everything, not full proof, but a lot better than nothing.  I also use a Resp-o-rator which works real well (espically if you have a beard).  The only drawbacks with it, you have to wear a nose plug which is a little uncomfortable and because you breath through you mouth, my throat get a little dry.  A sip of wine er, I mean water, fixes that.

Yes John I still have mine and just bought and replaced the filter.   I use it along with a box fan and filter.   I also always use a respirator while making dust. 

Not on the back...

Just saying.....

My new ware house i have 3 fans mounted on a sheet of 1/4" which nesstles in the back door of my shop.the front is a roll up door so there good air flow.when i scrolled inside a apartment i used box fans with pleated air filters for cental AC units 20" x 20"

I bought a USED GREAT IN SHAPE one of those about a month ago. Not because I wanted to buy used, ONLY because stupid Calif laws don't allow any filtering system to enter our CLEAN STATE.

How do you like that? I checked all these box filter systems which you hang from the ceiling and EVERY co. says they would not ship to Calif. Actually it says that in bold letters right under their product.

This is SOOOOO frustrating.

By the way I like it BUT I always wear a mask (the 3M ones with pink cartridges)

Sam

I have always had the thinking that one you fit to the ceiling wall or floor will not be as good as one you fit to your face so always make sure the face one is just as good if not better than the one on the floor wall ceiling, Just my way of thinking I spose. I only have a little 10x8 summerhouse turned into workshop so space is at a premium I therefore use a dust extractor in a shed next door and have a  pipe running into shop which i put on the item I use which is of course mainly the scroll saw lol. However if there is a little unit in the uk that would also clean the air when I leave and am in there please let me know as I am an acute asthmatic so its always better to air on the side of caution as it is I sound like darth vader when i say yes to a cup of tea from the missus whats one more noise in the background when you are making dust. ;)

I bought a USED GREAT IN SHAPE one of those about a month ago. Not because I wanted to buy used, ONLY because stupid Calif laws don't allow any filtering system to enter our CLEAN STATE.

How do you like that? I checked all these box filter systems which you hang from the ceiling and EVERY co. says they would not ship to Calif. Actually it says that in bold letters right under their product.

This is SOOOOO frustrating.

By the way I like it BUT I always wear a mask (the 3M ones with pink cartridges)

Sam

Sam I just don't understand why people would want to live there. Move here and I will help you find a place to live and we can filter all the air we want. We can also carry and shoot our guns. I like shooting too. As the young people say "It will be a hoot".

I will have to replace my box fan this year as the old one up and died in January. For my small shop, 200 sq. ft.,  it works fairly well with the filter on the back. As for using a vacuum attached to the various tools and to the scroll saw, it is a good idea except they are not designed to be used continually even though I had it hooked up to start and stop with the saw. I have replaced the motor head on my Shop Vac twice and if I decide to do it again, it died last November, will probably hook it up the same way. I would like to have a full dust collection unit but just out of my price range. I do wear a dust mast the entire time I am in the shop sawing or not.

Erv 

Sam I just don't understand why people would want to live there. Move here and I will help you find a place to live and we can filter all the air we want. We can also carry and shoot our guns. I like shooting too. As the young people say "It will be a hoot".

I am ready to get the hell out of here. My in-laws have been after us to move to Texas but I never made the effort to find a job there and our kids were still in schools here. so we were kinda stuck here :(

Thanks for the invitation :)

Sam

I am ready to get the hell out of here. My in-laws have been after us to move to Texas but I never made the effort to find a job there and our kids were still in schools here. so we were kinda stuck here :(

Thanks for the invitation :)

Sam

Yeah Sam I believe Texas is a good place to live. 

I just went to Shiela's website and read the review on the Elipse mask. Very interesting. Anyway, I went to Amazon and found the one they offer under the name of Miller Electric. $25.99 plus free shipping. They also have a "no rush" shipping offer that will give my a $5 credit off my next purchase. So, $25.99 total. No tax, no shipping fee. Can't beat that. Thanks for the "heads up" on this one. I've been searching for a comfortable mask that doesn't fog up my glasses.

Ray

Yeah Sam I believe Texas is a good place to live. 

Ok, I made a mess of my post. I went back and reread the posts and now I have it right. The OP mentioned moving out of the state and I thought he meant Tennessee. I too live in So Cal and I hate everything except the weather. My wife says she "ain't moving anywhere" so I guess I'm stuck here. I love Tyler Texas and I love Dandridge, Tn. I'd be most happy in either place. And I'd probably have money left at the end of each month too. Darned expensive living here. But, we have such great weather. Can't say much for the politics though.

Ray

Edited by octoolguy

Ok, I made a mess of my post. I went back and reread the posts and now I have it right. The OP mentioned moving out of the state and I thought he meant Tennessee. I too live in So Cal and I hate everything except the weather. My wife says she "ain't moving anywhere" so I guess I'm stuck here. I love Tyler Texas and I love Dandridge, Tn. I'd be most happy in either place. And I'd probably have money left at the end of each month too. Darned expensive living here. But, we have such great weather. Can't say much for the politics though.

Ray

Hey Ray if you don't like the weather in Tennessee just wait until tomorrow and it will change.   :lol:    :lol:    :lol: