🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Rack Em Up

JTTHECLOCKMAN

Stunned is the only thing that describes my reaction, amazing work.  I can't imagine the hours of cutting much less the sanding and finishing to get perfection like that - wow!

I would love to see the jig or whatever you use for cutting the relief in the pool ball.

Edited by JimErn

Anyone for a cool game of billiards. Now the contests are over I would like to show off my 2017 Pen Box entry. This too happened to take first place. I had this idea in my head for over a year but was just not able to make it till I was able to return to my shop. I have to say I am sort of strutting my feathers on this one because it came out almost as nice as I envisioned it. I will say I had to make many jigs to pull this off because every detail needed a cut that is not normal. Doing all the compound angle cuts was challenging. Drilling the holes for the pockets needed a jig as well as cutting the rails and trim work. The rails and pockets are joined with mortise and tenon joints because end grain is not a very strong glue joint. I did have an oops when I tried flocking the table and rails. The paint/glue I used was too thick and the fibers did not stick well. I had another can of the stuff so I was able to sand back the old and add the new and it came out well. Was able to get it done in time too. Thanks for looking and any questions or comments are always welcomed. Hopefully I can get the pen I have designed for the box done, very soon. 

I have included a photo of a full size billiard ball which I make clocks out of, for size reference.

My replica pool table box is made from Birdseye Maple and Gabon Ebony. It's measurements are 4-1/2" X 9" which is a scaled down version of a professional table. It was dipped in BLO and then top coated with 6 coats of satin lacquer. The table top has green flocking on the table as well as the bumpers. 

The cues were turned from maple blanks and are also satin lacquered. The butt grips are wrapped with carbon fiber. The billiard balls are miniature replicas. The rail sites are round black Swarovski crystals.

All the materials used were cut and angled using various jigs. The table is an easy lift off to access the pen box compartment which has a green plush felt cushion for any size pen. The lid has guide blocks to properly seat it easily on the box.

This is a neat little box which will enhance that special pen for that special billiard fan.

Seeings believing! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:miniatures in anything just have that something special about them,This one being an extreme example of quality plus.Craft show judges would take a seat to admire such detail from your welcome hard earned workmanship.Been quite a while since I've seen a miniature of this demeanor.post-1607-0-24542000-1488518605_thumb.jpg

Edited by amazingkevin

That is the most thumbs up I ever got and a trophy to go with it. I am humbled. Thank you for the kind words and the accolades. This project was a lot of fun to make and I stayed focused on making it and it went well. 

I would like to thank everyone who has looked at the project and posted some very nice comments and also hit the like button many times. It means alot. Being I am now able to work out of my shop once again and as long as I stay healthy I will continue to make some projects that I will be sharing with you all. I enjoy looking at others work as well and it gets the juices flowing. Thanks again. 

Stunned is the only thing that describes my reaction, amazing work.  I can't imagine the hours of cutting much less the sanding and finishing to get perfection like that - wow!

I would love to see the jig or whatever you use for cutting the relief in the pool ball.

Thanks Jim. I worked on this project and a couple others that I had entered into contests on the pen turning site for a little over 3 weeks. It did go very smoothly. I did have to incorporate many jigs just to keep my fingers safe because of the small material I was using. Not sure what you are speaking of about a relief in a pool ball. If you are talking about drilling the hole for the clock insert in the large pool ball I can show the holder for it if you would like. Other than that you have to explain more and maybe I can explain better. Thanks again

That's a beautiful piece of work. I think you should try and make a pool cue pen and pencil set. When I was making them a while back I made a set that looked like baseball bats lol very nice job on this. Jerry

Duke I think I answered this one too but just in case I have a specific pen idea in my head for this box. I have seen those pool cue pens done before and maybe I will try one. Will have to see. Had to put a few things on hold as a project for the house came up that I need to get done. But I will return to the shop soon. 

Just taking my 3rd opportunity to say how awesome this project is.  ;)

Very creative and finely executed.

Hello Bill. I thank you for the kind words here and other forums. I thought I would do a multi quote answer because I went back and read a few again and saw there were some questions or comments that I should address. I am glad that you like this project as well as others. It was a fun project and one that I was kicking around for some time. I do have my next year's entry mapped out in my head as I defend my title there. If i can pull it off it should also be a very nice project. But sorry you will have to wait till next year to see that one. Thanks again. 

Just taking my 3rd opportunity to say how awesome this project is.  ;)

Very creative and finely executed.

I hope you understand by now, that the comments on this fabulous piece of work is only starting. This piece is so awesome and unbelievable that it is easy to see that everyone is taken by it. I can not imagine you could have had any competition with a piece like this.. extremely ambition and well done.. I love to see something as nice as this get posted for all to admire

Dick

heppnerguy