12 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Pellow

Frank Pellow

Obsessed Scroller

• SSV Patron
  • 402 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted March 09, 2017 - 01:22 AM

I have cut away back on my scroll saw projects in 2017.  That's because I have taken on a lot of furniture making projects.

The biggest of these, so far, has been a large bookcase made out of quarter-sawn white oak and using traditional techniques such as mortise/tenon joints and lap joints.  We started with the rough sawn oak shown in the first attached photo and, after about a total of 120 (wo)man hours, ended with the bookcase shown in the second photo.

One of the objectives of this was for me to pass on a lot of knowledge to my niece Jessica.  Jessica is quick learner and a joy to work with.  Two summers ago we built a small cabin together.  Both the bookcase and the cabin are now hers.  Jessica is getting married next autumn but we hope to be able to work on other projects after her marriage.

Attached Files

Edited by Frank Pellow, March 09, 2017 - 01:27 AM.

• Lucky2, Fab4, Birchbark and 6 others like this

#2 Frank Pellow

Frank Pellow

Obsessed Scroller

• SSV Patron
  • 402 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 01:25 AM

This project was not entirely scroll-saw-free.  Here are a couple of photos of the plaque attached to the back of the bookcase.

• Lucky2, woodknots and meflick like this

#3 Scrolling Steve

Scrolling Steve

Zen Scroller

• SSV Patron
  • 7,356 posts
  • Wilmington , NC

Posted March 09, 2017 - 02:32 AM

What a great project to work on with your niece !....You guys should be proud ! :thumbs:  :thumbs:

#4 Lucky2

Lucky2

Zen Scroller

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts
  • Cassilis, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted March 09, 2017 - 02:43 AM

Frank, your a lucky man to have someone to pass your skills on to. I have a daughter who likes to do woodwork projects, she's always into something.

Len

#5 Bill WIlson

Bill WIlson

Obsessed Scroller

• PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Western PA

Posted March 09, 2017 - 01:26 PM

Outstanding!  Nice work on the book case.  Love the look of QSWO.  Even better that you are mentoring your niece.  The memories and the legacy you are creating with her are priceless!

#6 oldhudson

oldhudson

Master Scroller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • St. Paul, MN

Posted March 09, 2017 - 01:53 PM

Five stars from me on your build and wonderful that you've taken time to pass on knowledge and skills!

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.

#7 Rob

Rob

Master Scroller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted March 10, 2017 - 03:59 AM

That's a lovely cabinet Frank and the handles you chose compliment it perfectly.

Rob

#8 amazingkevin

amazingkevin

AMAZINGSCROLLER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,300 posts
  • fort lauderdale florida

Posted March 10, 2017 - 05:41 AM

I have cut away back on my scroll saw projects in 2017.  That's because I have taken on a lot of furniture making projects.

The biggest of these, so far, has been a large bookcase made out of quarter-sawn white oak and using traditional techniques such as mortise/tenon joints and lap joints.  We started with the rough sawn oak shown in the first attached photo and, after about a total of 120 (wo)man hours, ended with the bookcase shown in the second photo.

One of the objectives of this was for me to pass on a lot of knowledge to my niece Jessica.  Jessica is quick learner and a joy to work with.  Two summers ago we built a small cabin together.  Both the bookcase and the cabin are now hers.  Jessica is getting married next autumn but we hope to be able to work on other projects after her marriage.

Keeping wood working as an interest for her can't be all bad.Beautiful job.

This project was not entirely scroll-saw-free.  Here are a couple of photos of the plaque attached to the back of the bookcase.

Lasting memrobilia!

If it's not broke don't fix it or you'll render it useless!

#9 meflick

meflick

Zen Scroller

• SSV Patron
  • 1,550 posts
  • East TN

Posted March 12, 2017 - 09:40 PM

Congratulations to you and Jessica.  Looks like a top notch job.  I would love to have that bookcase in my home.  How wonderful that she wants to tap into your knowledge and skills and you are willing to "share" and teach.  She will treasure all those pieces and have no doubt they will be come family heirlooms.  Thanks for sharing.

Melanie  - cutting with DeWalt 788 Type 1 and Purple Excalibur 21

Go Big Orange! - Vol for Life!

#10 banderson

banderson

Pro Scroller

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • California

Posted March 15, 2017 - 03:43 PM

Great job.  Love it when the younger generations want to learn.

#11 Frank Pellow

Frank Pellow

Obsessed Scroller

• SSV Patron
  • 402 posts

Posted March 16, 2017 - 01:45 AM

I thank everyone who responded about the bookcase that Jessica and I built together.

I'm very fortunate in that I have many family members and friends that enjoy working with me and, together, we have tackled countless projects over the years.

Looking back, Jessica is probably the person who I have spent the most time instructing.  I'm attaching four photos of a small cabin (we call it a bunkie) that we designed and  built together in  the summer of 2015. 

Attached Files

#12 EarltheScroller

EarltheScroller

Obsessed Scroller

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Tucson, AZ

Posted March 16, 2017 - 05:14 AM

Great job. Mission style is my favorite style, anyway, so you couldn't go wrong and did right...a beautiful job. I'll bet Jessica (and you) are very proud.

#13 Sycamore67

Sycamore67

Obsessed Scroller

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • NW Indiana

Posted March 19, 2017 - 09:36 PM

You are a talented man and what great projects to share with hew.

Remove This Ad