Flip top bench tool stands

David Lehner

I'm not sure if thisi subject has been discussed in the past... probably has.

Too create more bench space has anyone built or have plans for a flip top power tool stand. I believe sears made one years ago that help 3 bench top tools but it is no longer available. ( I would purchase one if I could). I'm thinking of something for my bench top sanders. I don't use the spindle sander or the 1 inch belt sander as much as the others. I thought this might be a way to have them accessible but not taking up extra space. 

I'm thinking I will have to build something unless some one has another idea. 

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've found some plans ... More interested to see if anyone has built one and finds it successful

Edited by The Scroll Troll

I had a space between two benches pretty much dead space . garbage can, or shop vac. Anyway I cut out two triangle from 3/4 ply made tops in my case only 16 inches wide a two inch centered hole for a pipe . Just nailed a 2x4 u notch to each bench and hung it there, I put toggle bolts on the bottom to lock it ,(two at each point on the triangle ) it held a two wheel grinder, 4 inch belt sander and a jig I used sometimes

Don't know if I explained right but you get the idea, I would not say it's for production work but it allowed me to store three tool and yet have them ready. Never did anything fancy with the electric just plug & unplugged.

Just another idea to kick around☕

I built a flip top work station about 10 years ago. One side is a lunch box planer and the other is a chop saw. It's on casters so I can move it about. Some folks use their chop saw a lot more than I do and this configuration wouldn't work for them. At the time I found plans from Wood Magazine and Woodsmith, I combined those ideas/plans. It worked great at the time and still works perfectly. Made mostly from 3/4" birch pw and a wee bit of hardware.

post-18045-0-70500800-1489264293_thumb.jpgpost-18045-0-75320900-1489264354_thumb.jpgpost-18045-0-39355000-1489264313_thumb.jpg

No pictures but I built two rollovers or fliptops similar to  Berry's a few years back.   I think they are a must have for small workshops.   I have my planer and joiner on one and my belt sander and oscillating spindle sander on the other one.

Edited by stoney

I built a flip top work station about 10 years ago. One side is a lunch box planer and the other is a chop saw. It's on casters so I can move it about. Some folks use their chop saw a lot more than I do and this configuration wouldn't work for them. At the time I found plans from Wood Magazine and Woodsmith, I combined those ideas/plans. It worked great at the time and still works perfectly. Made mostly from 3/4" birch pw and a wee bit of hardware.

attachicon.gifFlip1.jpgattachicon.gifFlip3.jpgattachicon.gifFlip2.jpg

I save picture s of things like this as i run across them.they are in the laptop,I'm on the PC now.One that really caught my eye was a revolving one with, Scroll saw ,Band saw,Drill press,Belt sander,Disc sander,Chop saw.

attachicon.gifFlip1.jpgattachicon.gifFlip3.jpgattachicon.gifFlip2.jpg

I'm not sure if thisi subject has been discussed in the past... probably has.

Too create more bench space has anyone built or have plans for a flip top power tool stand. I believe sears made one years ago that help 3 bench top tools but it is no longer available. ( I would purchase one if I could). I'm thinking of something for my bench top sanders. I don't use the spindle sander or the 1 inch belt sander as much as the others. I thought this might be a way to have them accessible but not taking up extra space. 

I'm thinking I will have to build something unless some one has another idea. 

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've found some plans ... More interested to see if anyone has built one and finds it successful

I've a 25' long bench 2' wide with 5 outlets every 5' each outlet has 4 double plug in outlets and i still heed more to keep from plugging and unpluging if i could ever get going again.Things like revolving component cabinets would be so helpfull.

Hubby is out in the workshop as I type building one.  Since I moved into his space with my scroll saw and sanding tools he's been "redoing" and moving things around.  I think he is planing on putting a joiner and planer on the one he is building.  I will see where the plans came from and can maybe add pics when he is done.

I printed off a couple plans I found online while doing my radio show on Saturday.... the one that interests me the most is 3Dwoodworking plans ... about 5 ft X 30 "

Still looking ... plans for a smaller one with one tooll on each side of the flip would be great.... I would build 2 and set them side by side infront of my overhead door...

all construction will have to be this summer after things warm up... The smaller one I could build in my shop otherwise not enough room

I did spend about a hour  with my buddy John Deere (the snowblower) this afternoon.... hoepfully this will be the last time this winter

I'm not sure about the fliptop, although they look pretty good. While looking around the WWW for one thing or another, I came across this image: Bench I would really like to build one of these one day, when I get in the right mood.

One day????? what are you a machine?  that would take me at least a week to do. but then the reality is, I probably would not have the ability to do this at all..  a very interesting concept

Dick

heppnerguy 

I'm not sure about the fliptop, although they look pretty good. While looking around the WWW for one thing or another, I came across this image: Bench I would really like to build one of these one day, when I get in the right mood.

Nice bench.  I like the anti-wife measure on the door too!  ;)

Rob

If you run across the plans for this it might be a solution..... I would have to rearrange one wall of cabinets but what the heck..... people redo houses and kitchen etc.... a wood shop should be no different

I did order a set of plans for a flip top bench that I may tackle when weather warms   should have it by end of week

Eureka .... searching the internet between talking on the radio I found the plans for the carousel workbench... I am adding them to the other plans I have. The carousel would fit under the steps where I have my dopier and some cabinets.... again this would entail a remodel of the workshop but that might not be the worst thing

I am going to scan the plans to my laptop 

Update on carousel work bench.... I did find the plans.... I am studying my shop as I scroll and working out, in my mind, different ways to rearrange to make room for the carousel bench ... a couple configurations are possible

I am thinking of building the top part of the workbench and mount it on top of an unfinished reinforced corner carousel kitchen cabinet. I would have the whole assembly on heavy casters for mobility. I am now thinking the whole bench could sit in the center of my shop in front of the overhead door so I could roll it outside when needed. This way I could keep the copier under the steps where it is now

The planning continues

post-31333-0-60223300-1489838321_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Scroll Troll

I like the carousel idea better than the flip designs. The flip designs bring the tools up too high, for me anyway. Shop layout, especially when you have a small space, is a challenge. I thought I was set but now realize I need to add an extension to my Nova lathe  and it won't fit where I have it now.

Yep ... I think carousel is the way to go..... I will start buying all the components and wood I need over the next few weeks .... Truck coming out of storage soon so I can get it all home... If i move my wife's Durango out of her garage stall I could build it there before the Corvette comes home from storage and takes that stall for the summer

The more I configure this in my mind, the more I think it will work. it will free workbench space and give me access to tools (like my spindle sander) which are not readily accessible now

The issue with a bench like that is power.  You wither have to put the main power plugs on the carousel part and have one cord down through the bottom to the wall, or visa versa.

Either way, there has to be enough slack so the table can turn and twist the incoming power lead(s), and at some point that might well be a problem.

Unless those plans include a slip ring assembly source for 120vac

In that pic the whole shop has no dust, makes me wonder if it is actually used

Wow, that's a busy bench, but it looks like it saves a lot of wall space.