Flip top bench tool stands

David Lehner

And another update on the carousel workbench.... 

I am considering plan B .... on my radio show on Saturday - Swap Shop - (some stations call it Tradio) I asked if anyone had a corner carousel kitchen base cabinet.... low and behold some one called me after the show and had an unfinished one he did not need. It was in a small town about about 35 miles south and he was coming to Minot.... I now have the cabinet at about 1/3 the price of a new one

plan is to cut the base down as much as I can.... mount on casters.... make the top approximately 48" circle with roller bearings and the next layer is what the tools mount on ... 

I will post pictures if and when I get it done.... the plan is all coming together in my mind .....

The truck is a 1995 Ram 1500.... only 50,000 miles ... I was the GMgr of the Chrysler / Toyota dealership ... had to go to a Chrysler meeting for a week. While I was gone my techs tore down the motor ... added oversized cam, lifters etc ... installed headers and straight pipes (now with glass pacs) .... put a 3 inch lift in the front and two inches i n the back.   added a air induction custom hood and grill with fender flares and running boards.... brought HP to about 315 in a 360.

The corvette is a 1985 with 37,000 miles .... added ground effects ad a low wing in the back ... a bit oversize the rims and tires and custom Targa top 

Hmmm  I would attach a picture but can't find the link to do that .... I've done it before ... oh well

Edited by The Scroll Troll

The truck is a 1995 Ram 1500.... only 50,000 miles ... I was the GMgr of the Chrysler / Toyota dealership ... had to go to a Chrysler meeting for a week. While I was gone my techs tore down the motor ... added oversized cam, lifters etc ... installed headers and straight pipes (now with glass pacs) .... put a 3 inch lift in the front and two inches i n the back.   added a air induction custom hood and grill with fender flares and running boards.... brought HP to about 315 in a 360.

The corvette is a 1985 with 37,000 miles .... added ground effects ad a low wing in the back ... a bit oversize the rims and tires and custom Targa top 

Hmmm  I would attach a picture but can't find the link to do that .... I've done it before ... oh well

Found link

Pictures of Vette

Mural on the back of truck.... I designed it (did not paint it)

and my Trailer .... full of displays and product sitting outside my shop

And two of my business cars 

Hope you're not bored 

post-31333-0-98493700-1490025017_thumb.jpg

post-31333-0-47509800-1490025028_thumb.jpg

post-31333-0-00389400-1490025034_thumb.jpg

post-31333-0-71694800-1490025116_thumb.jpg

post-31333-0-30701700-1490025173_thumb.jpg

update on carousel workbench

I took the kitchen corner carousel base cabinet and cut the toe kick off.... dropped about 4 inches off the height.... I mounted casters on the bottom to make it mobile

I reinforced the sides with 1/2 inch cdx plywood.... this will allow me to hang accessories on both sides..... I attached a 4 ft diameter circle of 3/4 plywood on top with a collar for a 1 1/4 inch pipe in the center. Around the edge (about 2 inches in) i attached 10 roller bearing casters.. Another 4 ft circle of 3/4 inch AC plywood on top with the AC side down to roll on the roller bearing casters. I have 4 bench power tools on top right now with room for one more. once I get them all placed where I want them I will anchor the to the top (which rotates freely).

The carousel below will hold all my 18v and 20v dewalt power tools - now easily found on the double tier carousel with the original cabinet. 

I will mount an outlet strip on top for the power bench tools and plug that in when I need to use one of the tools on top. 

Once I get the bench tools and power strip mounted I will attach a picture. 

Thanks for the progress reports on the carousel.

Never bored with car pictures. The graphics on the truck are amazing. I see why you put both away for the winter.

I am getting itchy to take my car for a drive. I have had this 1970 TVR for 46 years.

post-29702-0-52845900-1490096901_thumb.jpg

Never bored with car pictures. The graphics on the truck are amazing. I see why you put both away for the winter.

I am getting itchy to take my car for a drive. I have had this 1970 TVR for 46 years.

had to look the  TVR up, never heard of them before.   Beautiful automobile.   I bought a new Alpha Romero Spider in '66 when I got out if the service.  Great little car, but temperamental.  My favorite car of all I have owned was a Sunbeam Tiger.  What a great/fun car.

Dave, very anxious to see your cabinet.  Sounds like a great deal.   Most the cabinets for my power tools are made out of discarded kitchen and bathroom cabinets (free).  They are older cabinets made from good plywood.

Edited by Scrappile

Just wanted to update - Hubby's although looks like OP is going a different direction.  Hubby got his flip top tool stand done.  The plans for the one he used came from Woodsmith Magazine's Shop Cabinets and Tool Stands Book in a series of Custom Woodworking books printed by Time Life.  I think it is a compilation of articles from the Magazine.  I haven't gotten pictures yet of his.  However, I thought surely there must be some links somewhere to similar types of plans so  I did a little googling around and found a few.  I thought I would add links to them here for those who might be interested in doing one.  

http://www.instructables.com/id/COPYRIGHT-FREE-RE-LISTED-FLIPTOP-TOOL-STAND/step7/1-Inch-Dowel-Pivot-Point-Assembly/#intro

http://fixthisbuildthat.com/diy-flip-top-tool-stand-plans/

http://sawsonskates.com/2016/01/13/how-to-2x4-flip-top-workbench-cart-free-diy-plans/

I had also previously found the carousel plans but he decided not to do one of those right now. Look forward to seeing how your's works out.

Great looking TVR .... back when I had hair (many years ago) I had a 64 Sunbeam Alpine GT with removable hardtop (wanted a Tiger but none in North Dakota that I could afford at the time.... at the same time I had an a 1968 Austin Healy 100-6 (forerunner to the Austin Healy 3000 .... The top was always down on the Austin Healy --- the sunbeam was driven when it rained other wise I drove the AH.

Too bad no pictures exist of either vehicle 

Heading home from radio station soon .... time to saw and work a bit more on the Scroll Troll Revolving Work Bench ... maybe a picture this afternoon

going to try to load picture 

why is it sometimes I can find the link to load a picture and other times I can not

and this is a day I cannot find the link to load the picture 

no more time to spend on this today  ... try again tomorrow

had to look the  TVR up, never heard of them before.   Beautiful automobile.   I bought a new Alpha Romero Spider in '66 when I got out if the service.  Great little car, but temperamental.  My favorite car of all I have owned was a Sunbeam Tiger.  What a great/fun car.

Dave, very anxious to see your cabinet.  Sounds like a great deal.   Most the cabinets for my power tools are made out of discarded kitchen and bathroom cabinets (free).  They are older cabinets made from good plywood.

trying to post a picture ... cannot find the link to that 

sometimes i see it... sometimes I dont 

today I do not

Looking great.  Now you need a big hooded exhaust fan that sits above the cabinet so it sucks up the dust and blows it outside.  Like they have in restaurants above the stoves....

Thanks.... if weather permits I can open the overhead door and roll it outside and let mother nature blow the dust away

:sad:

I'm not sure about the fliptop, although they look pretty good. While looking around the WWW for one thing or another, I came across this image: Bench I would really like to build one of these one day, when I get in the right mood.

I'm currently in the process of building one right now. Modifying some from this exact plan. I'll post pictures next week or so. Just got all of my supplies together and waiting to be off work next week to put it together.