Delta Saw suddenly noisy - help GREATLY appreciated/project is due!

Meucow

Good Evening 

Needing some scroll saw assistance.

I’ve been using a scroll saw for over 7  years. I’m currently using a Delta 40-694 - that I'd had to 3 years. 

I am an artist and cut woods no larger than 1†- lots of plywood too. I’ve noticed lately

that I’m getting more and more noise from the saw. I cannot figure out how to fix it.

In listening - I believe it’s from the top or bottom blade clamp mechanism. Of course, now

that I’m playing around with it (not taking anything apart just investigating why it’s noisy now)

I’m seeing that the clamp area is ‘wobbly’ - now, I don’t know if it always was and that’s the nature of

it or that’s the problem. BOTH top and bottom are wobbly. (see pictures).

In talking with a friend, he said it sounded like the tension rod needed adjusting

I use my saw daily. I use the same wood, same blade - every day. No change in the variables. 

SHOULD these areas (circled in red) be ‘wobbly’ to the touch or should they be fixed/not moving?W hen I put a blade in, tighten, adjust tension, they are fine but they are wobbly. Additionally, I've put a red arrow on an area that seems also wobbly - again, not sure if it always was/is supposed to be but now 

I'm questioning everything because I'm trying to figure out how to fix this noise. 

My scroll saw came with a hexagon wrench but noticing that the screws by the blade clamp are NOT

hexagon at all - they are star shaped. They are not ‘loose’ to the touch so didn’t want to mess with tightening or fear of stripping….Thougths?

So, when I turn on the scroll saw, in the past, it was a low hum - pretty quiet. Now I’m getting a 

rattling noise and fear it’s affecting my cuts/quality.  I have a video of it from my phone, I'm uploading it for your review. 

I'm attaching a picture of the top (area/wobbly), bottom, close up and then going to try to upload a video for the sound I'm getting!

Thank you so much for any/all help. GREATLY appreciated. I work with my saw daily and am concerned about the noise and issue with breaking blades (like 13 in a minute)

Cindi 

post-31508-0-47939100-1489443166_thumb.jpg

post-31508-0-43174400-1489443201_thumb.jpg

post-31508-0-58988500-1489443241_thumb.jpg

IMG_8309.MOV

Edited by Meucow

Good Evening 

Needing some scroll saw assistance.

I’ve been using a scroll saw for 3 years. I’m currently using a Delta 40-694.

I am an artist and cut woods no larger than 1†- lots of plywood too. I’ve noticed lately

that I’m getting more and more noise from the saw. I cannot figure out how to fix it.

In listening - I believe it’s from the top or bottom blade clamp mechanism. Of course, now

that I’m playing around with it (not taking anything apart just investigating why it’s noisy now)

I’m seeing that the clamp area is ‘wobbly’ - now, I don’t know if it always was and that’s the nature of

it or that’s the problem. BOTH top and bottom are wobbly. (see pictures).

SHOULD these areas (circled in red) be ‘wobbly’ to the touch or should they be fixed/not moving?W hen I put a blade in, tighten, adjust tension, they are fine but they are wobbly.

Additionally, I've put a red arrow on an area that seems also wobbly - again, not sure if it always was/is supposed to be but now 

I'm questioning everything because I'm trying to figure out how to fix this noise. 

My scroll saw came with a hexagon wrench but noticing that the screws by the blade clamp are NOT

hexagon at all - they are star shaped. They are not ‘loose’ to the touch so didn’t want to mess with tightening or fear of stripping….Thougths?

So, when I turn on the scroll saw, in the past, it was a low hum - pretty quiet. Now I’m getting a 

rattling noise and fear it’s affecting my cuts/quality. 

I have a video of it from my phone but think it’s too large to upload. 

I'm attaching a picture of the top (area/wobbly), bottom, close up and then going to try to upload a video for the sound I'm getting!

Thank you so much for any/all help. GREATLY appreciated. I work with my saw daily and am concerned about the noise/wobbly parts etc.

Cindi 

The area your highlighting are loose on my Dewalt clone of yours.So i'd say that's not where the noise is coming from.I couldn't see a blade in the holders.Was there one?That noise is horrendous.

Edited by amazingkevin

Hello all - me again - so I was able to find the exploded part list of this saw and now I have more exact part info. 

So I started noticing a noise when I was cutting and then starting questioning

All aspects of the saw. Things that I started to wonder if ‘that was normal. I contacted Delta today and they were nice – but not helpful. I was telling them about an area that seemed ‘loose’ and

They said to get an l-shape hexagon wrench 4mm and that should be all I need. Well, I bought one – and it wasn’t.  The shape of the screw is a star AND nothing about any of the screws is loose.

There’s nothing to tighten – I have no idea how/why (or if) the black chuck is loose and how in the world it could be tighten because NONE Of the screws are loose.

My saw is making noise when getting to a certain speed – it’s never done that, has always been a quiet hum. 

This is when I started looking at the parts and trying to figure out where the noise was coming from.  

I’m desperate – I have several orders due AND I don’t have any money right now to pay for repair – I’m praying this is an easy fix somehow.

So, let me tell you what I’m thinking/hearing/seeing and see if you have any thoughts.

I’m attaching the exploded part diagram for the Delta 40-694. I’ve circled the blade chuck (believe that is what it’s called) – for the top AND bottom (the one above and below the top rocker mount).

These parts are ‘loose’ to touch. I’ve NEVER noticed if they were loose before or not – but I can pinch them they are ‘wobbly’.  Also, the FRONT ROCKERASSM (part #13 in the diagram) is loose. Again, I can hold it between my forefinger and thumb and wiggle it back and forth. 

I’m breaking blades like crazy (never had before) and not sure ‘why’. And then there’s a noise  it’s a rattling/vibration and it’s coming from

That general area of either the top or bottom blade chuck or the front rocker assm (part #13).

Thank you SO much for even taking the time to read and possibly help. I was so frustrated with Delta when they told me to get a hexagon tool when I was explaining that the shape was a star. 

attached is: 

Delta exploded parts diagram

Bottom – blade chuck loose (circled in red)

Top – blade chuck AND ‘bottom arm’ look (circled in red/arrow)

post-31508-0-22969000-1489460373_thumb.png

hello AmazingScroller. No blade in this video but it's the same noise with or without. If the speed is VERY low, no noise but as I make it even slightly faster - NOISE! Ugh.

So blade in or out does NOT impact the sound at all. It helps to know that the blade chucks on your are loose. The MORE I look at this - I'm thinking it somewhere NEAR but not the blade chuck. Can you see my revised post (I included the exploded parts diagram) and in addition to the blade chucks (top and bottom that hold the blade) there's another part that is loose. Per that part diagram it's called the FRONT ROCKERASSM (part #13 in the diagram)  - and is loose.

I have no idea about this type of saw but I've heard noises like that on mine when I have the tension spring to high. All of the loosening and tightening of the spring causes the top arm to get higher and it eventually clangs up against the body of the machine. Maybe you could try adjusting the tension. Just a thought.

What number is your tenson with a blade in. Mine is at about 3 if it is at the high end  that may be your problem. did you try and find a maintenance video on that saw if not there is one on the Dewalt 788 but try for the delta, You don't have to take the saw apart just that area of the tension area It is not a problem with the dewalt I know how to do it but can't explain it .

IKE

I have done a lot of mechanical work in my lifetime.  Numerous times, the problem wasn't where I thought it was.  For example, I have a 40-694.  It started making noise also.  When you rotate the tension lever, it pulls a rod that leads to the back of the saw.  Delta (and Dewalts) don't leave enough clearance internally for the rod.

I removed the switch & tension lever.  The bottom of the rod was hitting a piece below it.  Take a chainsaw file and file a notch below the tension rod.

Another time. mine sheared a bolt located in the back (internally.)  It was a design flaw that put the entire load on an undersized bolt.  The one on the end of the connecting rod (not the end on the motor shaft, the other end.)  The outer end of the bolt sheared and it was still sawing, but it rattled. I went to a local hardware store and replaced it with a stainless steel bolt, which is harder.  Problem solved.

Ike, with all due respect to you, and others, DO NOT get hung up on a "Tension Number."  Each time you clamp the blade, it is slightly higher or lower in the clamp, making your tension number meaningless.  More importantly, when you thread the blade through the wood and clamp it, the drilled hole in the wood isn't in perfect alignment with the 2 blade clamps.  Now you are "wasting" the first part of the tension by pulling the wood into alignment.  To learn to tension, without any wood, practice tensioning by the amount of pressure you need to get the blade to "ping."  After you have learned how to do that, when stack cutting, you will now find that each time you tension, you end up with a completely different number.  Scrollers would do themselves a favor if they covered those silly tension numbers with a piece of tape.

jerry

Some things to add to my earlier posting. If you followed this site for a few years, you would see that Delta, Dewalt and probably others are shipped from the factory with minimal grease. Some people report bearings going out in under a year. When I unpacked mine, I ran it to make sure it was OK and disassembled a brand new saw and greased it. Because I am retired (in Iowa), I only saw as a hobby, in good weather.

1. Perhaps you have one or more bearings that need to be replaced because of a lack of grease.

2. I posted pictures of;

a. The groove for the tension rod that needs to be filed deeper. (A taper on the left edge in the photo.) You might

see scuffing from the rod to indicate what needs to be filed away.

b. The bolt that broke but stayed in place, causing a rattle.

post-18973-0-54738900-1489524210_thumb.jpg

post-18973-0-43232100-1489524226_thumb.jpg

I had this problem on my EX-21. Was on the phone with Ray from Seyco. Found  a bad bearing by carefully watching for movement. Replace the bearing and all was well. Suggest using good light and moving parts gently and watching for play. When you find the play you most likely found the source. Be patient and move things gently and watch carefully. You'll get to source. Best of luck.

Hello all - Cindi here, who started this thread. Thank you kindly each of you for taking the time to respond. So, I called Delta, come to find out there's a 5 year warranty on my 40-694 so YAY! I told them I've used this saw for 3 years, same type of wood, same blades (no variable to have reason why all of a sudden it should be loud AND breaking blade). They gave me the name of the closest (hour away) Delta authorized service repair center and explained that it's under warranty and they will take care of me/it. So, took the saw off the stand, drove it on up there and yesterday I called to get the status  - see if they had looked at it. WELL, the guy said he's taken it apart 3 times and nothing is wrong. No loud noise, tried with blade, without blade. So, SORRY for me, since nothing was WRONG and no part ordered etc. I have to pay his time for looking at it. I called Delta and they are 'reviewing the case' but said, yes I probably have to pay it. I'm so very frustrated and disappointed. It's not the fee - it's the principle. I was not told that 'if they couldn't find anything wrong, that the bill would be my responsibility'. 

Delta has gone to pot since the original owners sold out to the Chinese corporation. I would NOT buy anything with the Delta name on it personally. I have been burned by their inability to supply parts for their machines. It's a shame that what was such a good machine manufacturer has gone down the road that they have. I know there are people that still swear by their name and tools but I am sure not one of them YMMV.