7 replies to this topic

#1 RangerJay

RangerJay

Obsessed Scroller

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Northwestern Ontario

Posted March 20, 2017 - 10:56 PM

I am working on a landscape project now that has a challenge I haven't met before - the foreground is in shade, the middle ground is in a lighter level of shade, and the background has levels of very deep shade - typical black/white cutting just don't "cut" it (pun intended) - after all the cutting is done my thoughts on trying to deal with this gradient of shading is to use progressive levels of stain.  The wood is Walnut and I'm thinking of using a Minwax Dark Walnut stain applied in multiple coats with a fairly dry sponge until I get the "shade" I want - then move on from there with the finishing..  I have not done this kind of thing before so am wondering if others have some experience and advice that would give me a better (and easier) result.

Thanks,

Jay

#2 amazingkevin

amazingkevin

AMAZINGSCROLLER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,300 posts
  • fort lauderdale florida

Posted March 22, 2017 - 09:27 AM

From my art knowledge is to go from light to dark.It's impossible to do the reverse

If it's not broke don't fix it or you'll render it useless!

#3 Scrappile

Scrappile

Totally Looney

• SSV Patron
  • 3,874 posts
  • S.E Washington St.

Posted March 22, 2017 - 02:26 PM

Sorry, I think you have moved up beyond my level.

Paul from S.E. Washington

Excalibur 21 / Hegner Multimax 22-V

My gallery:   http://www.scrollsaw...2608-scrappile/

#4 RangerJay

RangerJay

Obsessed Scroller

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Northwestern Ontario

Posted March 22, 2017 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the replies - I'm close to finishing the cutting now and will start doing some experimenting - two things I am going to try - one will be stain applied very sparingly in multiple coats to try and get the shades I want - the other will be very watered down aniline dye applied in the same way.  Will let you know how (or if) it turns out ...... have really got my fingers crossed that this doesn't turn into one of those hard lessons in how not to do something ......

Thanks,

Jay

#5 DonR

DonR

Zen Scroller

• SSV Patron
  • 1,149 posts
  • On the Cumberland Plateau, TN

Posted March 22, 2017 - 11:23 PM

Jay, I have tried it on carvings in the past and found that it works to a degree but is very subtle. It might work better on a larger area, mine were all small areas.

Good luck with it though, can't wait to see it.

Don R

#6 Jim Finn

Jim Finn

Master Scroller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Lubbock Texas

Posted March 26, 2017 - 02:38 PM

I have read of a method of shading without using stain.  They did it with hot sand.  Like is used to shape  plastic glasses frames .

Hegner Polymax-3, Hegner Multimax-3, 15" Jet

"You may have your PHD but I have my GED"

#7 Scrappile

Scrappile

Totally Looney

• SSV Patron
  • 3,874 posts
  • S.E Washington St.

Posted March 26, 2017 - 03:06 PM

If you watch this video by "The Woodwhisperer" at right around 31 minutes, he does the hot sand shading.  I remembered this video when Jim mentioned hot sand in his post above.  I video is about inlaying with a router, but the hot sand thing should work the same, maybe.

http://www.thewoodwh...er-based-inlay/

Paul from S.E. Washington

Excalibur 21 / Hegner Multimax 22-V

My gallery:   http://www.scrollsaw...2608-scrappile/

#8 RangerJay

RangerJay

Obsessed Scroller

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Northwestern Ontario

Posted March 26, 2017 - 09:53 PM

Thanks again for the replies - that hot sand idea is intriguing - I watched the video - pretty neat - that guy is seriously talented - but I'm afraid the technique won't work with my landscape piece just because of the nature of the piece - but it did get me to thinking about maybe resurrecting the woodburner and see how that might work as well - regardless of the method used tomorrow is the big day .... feeling reasonably confident ..... kinda ..... sorta ...... so still have my fingers crossed .....

Thanks,

Jay

Remove This Ad