Problem with my Hegner Multicut 2S

tonchip

Hello all. I'm new on forum and I need help from you good people.

I bought brand new Hegner Multicut 2S last December. From the very start I have a problem with my saw. It breaks saw blades very often. I'm not a beginner, I have 13+ years of experience is scroll sawing.

Blades break inside the clamps, at the top of the clamps. I use Niqua Speed 2/0 and Niqua #1 blades.

I discovered that the lower arm isn't aligned. It is slightly leaned to the left. Wrong position of the lower arm causes wrong positioning of the bottom clamp. I think that causes the problem with saw blades. Also the machine is very noisy sometimes.  What can I do to align the lower arm and fix this issue in general?

Thank you in advance!

post-31242-0-07407100-1490131012_thumb.jpg

post-31242-0-23521300-1490131041_thumb.jpg

That clamp just floats in there, it is not stationary or solid.  I never even check mine when I put it in, never even thought about it.  Now, I had the same blade breaking problem when I first got my Hegner.  I purchased it from Advance Machinery.  I contacted them and they worked with me.  We had several conversations, I still could not get it to work on the small blades.  I use 2/0 FD blades.  They said they would work with me until it was doing exactly what I wanted it to do, but, I finally gave up and decided it only worked with bigger blades, and I could not do delicate pictures with it.  I use my other saw for that.  Then one day, after several months, I thought, no I paid a lot of money for the saw, and it had to work for me.  I put a 2/0 blade in to try again, and it worked like a charm and has ever since.  I do not know what I did different except maybe got the tension adjusted correctly, and the top clamp sorta floats also, in that the screw the you screw down to the clamp should not hold it tight there should be a sight amount of wobble.  Rereading the instructions it states that also.  Now I don't know if either of those items "fixed" my problem, but what ever it was, I am a very happy camper.  I love the Hegner.  My other saw is an Excalibur, a great saw, but if I had to chose I would chose the Hegner. 

You might email or call Advance Machinery and discuss it with them.  They we very good with me.  I have no complaints with them. I gave up before they did..   https://www.advmachinery.com/collections/types?q=Scroll%20Saws

I looked, they do not list that model, so I'm thinking you may not be in the U.S.?  So maybe you could still email them, or contact the place you purchased it from, they may give just as good service.

Edited by Scrappile

Okay, sorry I did not notice that when I first saw the picture, all I saw was the clamp was a little to the left or it at least looks that way.  I would think that has to be either the hole in the arm for the pivot bolt is off or the the hole/threads that the bolt goes into is off or the bolt is bent.  I wonder if going through the threads that bolt is going into with a thread chaser would help.  I don't know I would be calling someone.  Either way Hegner or whoever you bought it from should make it right somehow.  May give you a new saw....

Edited by Scrappile

I have the exact same Hegner that I purchased 6 months ago and after looking at mine just now my arm is straight . This is not an answer to your problem I know but it does confirm it is not meant to be like that. Me personally as it is only 3 months old would be on to Hegner customer services sending them the picture you have posted here and asking for a replacement not a repair as a repair will mean you waiting to get it back and after all it is still within the manufacturers year warranty. The courier can pick up the old when they deliver  the new, I can only guess you got unlucky and got a wrong un off the line which is weird because they are all quality tested and stamped. Sorry I cannot tell you how to fix it you could of course try what has been suggested like the pivot arm bolt and bearing but as it is so new I would just go for a straight replacement if it was me after all they are not cheap why should you be fixing it after only 3 months. I can also confirm I can use any type of blade small large makes no difference as long as tension is set correct they snap only when they are meant to snap or have been used too hard etc etc, I am not a veteran at this still learning but as I have the same model thought I would jump in on the thread. :)  :D Frank

Edited by blights69

I'm thinking the blades are very thin like #3 or smaller so tightening to tight

Hello all. I'm new on forum and I need help from you good people.

I bought brand new Hegner Multicut 2S last December. From the very start I have a problem with my saw. It breaks saw blades very often. I'm not a beginner, I have 13+ years of experience is scroll sawing.

Blades break inside the clamps, at the top of the clamps. I use Niqua Speed 2/0 and Niqua #1 blades.

I discovered that the lower arm isn't aligned. It is slightly leaned to the left. Wrong position of the lower arm causes wrong positioning of the bottom clamp. I think that causes the problem with saw blades. Also the machine is very noisy sometimes.  What can I do to align the lower arm and fix this issue in general?

Thank you in advance!

I'm thinking the blades are very thin like #3 or smaller so tightening to tight will break them there.

First thing i would do.If you did not do already is check that your blade is square with the table. The blade clamp mount is split at the top.so it should make up for for a slight out of alignement between the upper and lower arms.These are very simple scroll saws Unless the bushing holes were not drilled square when manufactured there is nothing else that could be out of alignement.This same saw has not changed in Decades.There are no bearings on this saw at all.Just 2 bushings upper and lower.That needs to be oiled .These are very powerful motors so arm tension is a major adjustment with these saws..I was breaking blades like crazy when I first bought my Hegner But after learning the Ping sound on different size blades I could now wear out a blade.