🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Newbie problems...

thepopela

Hi all,

Could anyone point me in the right direction? i seem to be braking lots of blades :cry: , i tension the blade so it has a "nice tone" (ive watched the videos) but the blades always seem to snap on the bottom 5mm - 10mm of the blade! Can you over tighten these on the blade clamp? i've tried not doing them up as much but they just pull out after a few minutes then? Im using pinless pegas spiral blades btw.

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers.

put a new blade in and tighten it put correct tension on it then take it out and If it has a bend in the blade the left set screw is not correct, if it is bent take a ruler put it in the blade clammp tighten it down on the right then on the left that should cure that problem. if it still breaks  i dont know.

IKE

Make sure the left set screw that the blade gets pushed into is out (towards center of clamp)about 1/16". This will keep blades from getting a bend like the blade of a hockey stick and breaking there. I have been scrolling for 7 years and have broken only one blade & it was because of this problem. After you get the set screw were you want it put a drop of BLUE locktight on threads. Will keep from working out.

OK cheers chaps plenty to think about there, stupid question time though ...when you talk about left and right clamp screws my bottom (and top) clamp only have one screw to tighten, are there suppose to be 2? The top clamp tightens on the right and the bottom clamp tightens from the left.

Ok i understand what your saying.Now with out putting a blade in screw the blade holding screw all the way in tight.Where the end of that touches is a set screw which is adjustable too,Usually with an Allen wrench.Top and bottom blade holders both have this adjustments.

Ok i understand what your saying.Now with out putting a blade in screw the blade holding screw all the way in tight.Where the end of that touches is a set screw which is adjustable too,Usually with an Allen wrench.Top and bottom blade holders both have this adjustments.

Ok cheers, ill take a closer look when i get home later. :thumbs:

OK cheers chaps plenty to think about there, stupid question time though ...when you talk about left and right clamp screws my bottom (and top) clamp only have one screw to tighten, are there suppose to be 2? The top clamp tightens on the right and the bottom clamp tightens from the left.

I think most (or all) brands of saws have blade clamps with a screw on each side. You mentioned that one clamp tightens on the right and the other on the left. IF it's handier for you, the screws can be switched, so that they both tighten on the same side. The reason for a "somewhat permanent" screw on the side that you don't tighten is to align the blade right to left, top to bottom.

Hope this helps Friend.

I looked at your scroll saws manual and its hard to tell from their illustrations but I don't think there are two bottom screws.  What I would try just for a test is to try one of your 'pinned' blades because it doesn't use your screws.  See if that makes a difference, if it does then you have now narrowed down the problem to the screw holder parts.  I would remove the screws and look at the ends of the screws, they may have a burr on one of them causing the blade to be tweaked.  Also the manual is very clear setting the tension AFTER the blade is inserted EACH time the blade is inserted.  If you are doing a piece with a lot of blade insertions this may also be a cause of the breaking.  Hope you get it figured out, scrolling is fun (most of the time)!  :D  Russ