Hi there from a "yinzer" in the flesh!

ranndii923

Hi all! My name is Randi, I've been following the scroll saw hobby for a while, drooling over everything and Sunday bite the bullet and purchased a SS for myself and some spare blades. It literally showed up on my door today (Wednesday). Didn't even have a change to do some research on the types of wood to be using as a pure beginner. The last time I touched a SS was probably in 9th grade (2006) in my shop class. As the only girl, with a passion for woodworking, I quickly advanced in my class. So, would anyone be willing to make some suggestions on wood types? I, unfortunately, only have HD and Lowes to choose from in my small town 😔

Welcome to the village Randi. Glad to have you move next door. The type of wood will depend on what type of scrolling you are interested in. Let us know and you will get headed in the right direction.

Right now I'm thinking I want to start out making signs, either painted or stained, and then work my way up to more intracate things. I'm wanting to start simple as to not get discouraged. :)

Good plan Ranndii923. I would suggest using some pine and maybe some 1/4 in plywood until you get the feel for your saw and feel comfortable making basic items then trying "better" materials (Walnut, Maple, etc) If you can get it without spending a lot Baltic Birch plywood is much better to cut than the usual Ply available at the big box stores. Hope you enjoy this as much as most of us do. Welcome.

Fredfret

Wichita, Ks

Hi Randi.  Several girls here in the village so you won't be the only like you were in shop class. Welcome to the village from East Tennessee.  I'm a relative newbie to the saw myself.  I got started wanting to do Intarsia work which requires a lot of different woods, colors of woods, etc.  Then I found the village and have ventured off into some other aspects of scroll sawing as well.  You mentioned you got some spare blades, you will want to learn that different types of woods, different thicknesses, different projects will require different blade thicknesses as well so make sure to read up on all that good info shared here too.  As far as wood, as already noted - its going to depend on what you want to do.  If you want to try signs first, then you might look for some pine, oak, luan, or baltic burch plywood at your local Lowes and HD.  You might also google around and see if you can find some lumberyards not too far away.  If you are close to Bill and the Blazin Blades SS club he mentions above, I would highly suggest that you look into it.  I found working in person with those who scroll helped my skills alot.  Good luck and let us know how we can help.  We love to see pictures too!

Welcome Randi!

Since you are a "yinzer" you may be interested in our scroll saw club, the Blazin' Blades of Western PA. We're love getting new members, especially beginners. Let me know if you would like more info.

Bill, where are you located? I love when someone else knows what yins/yinz mean! Usually people look at me like I'm nuts! Haha

Hi Randi, welcome to the Village.  I'm Marg from Australia.  Glad you joined us.  I notice that you mentioned that you wanted to make signs, I am not trying to put you off but letters are one of the hardest things to cut for a beginner so please don't be disheartened if your first attempts don't turn out the way that you expect.. Your motto from now on should be practice, practice, practice. ;):)

Marg